Author Topic: wheel refinishing  (Read 305 times)

Offline Paulo Fernandes

wheel refinishing
« on: January 12, 2005, 06:03:44 pm »
Hey people,

I have 2G 17's on my car as you can see in my avatar.  They have some salt corrosion on them as they used to be a 2G's winter rims out in Abby.  I really like them and was considering getting them refinished.  Anyone know where to get this done cheap, or how to DIY cheap?  I wont go to Panther's or Green's and pay over $100 each.  For that, I'd buy new rims, like Konig Verdicts.  I don't want to paint them either.  I like the way they look now, just want them to look new again.

Lemme know!
3/92 1Gb TSi FWD  -sold

Offline John Hartman

wheel refinishing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:16:57 pm »
you HAVE to take off the old finish and paint them  No getting around it.  The old stuff is flaking off and makin it all nasty.

Take em off, get the tires removed, get em sand blasted, clean em well, take care of any imperfections you find, then paint em your choice of colour, AKA stock white.

Remember its ALL about the prep.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jesse Veitch

wheel refinishing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 06:46:56 pm »
there's a vfaq about it, on plymouthlaser or vfaq, can't remember, I tried looking and couldn't find it, I can't see to straight right now, but you don't need to take the tires off, or get it sandblasted, it's a bit more of a pain but it'll save you some dough, jsut have to mask the tires and use some stripper/elbow grease (sanding) make sure it's all nice and clean, base it, clear it, can re-clear a polished lip if you have one too, just an extra step masking and such.... John's definitly right, it's all about the prep for a good finish
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline John Hartman

wheel refinishing
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:14:20 pm »
It sure helps for the sand blasting, especially with white.

And it only cost me $11 a wheel to get it done.  Way nicer, believe me you are going to have many hours into the wheels even if you do get em blasted.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods