Author Topic: ABS Keeps running  (Read 284 times)

Offline Trevor Engelsmeier

ABS Keeps running
« on: January 02, 2005, 08:32:10 pm »
i was driving one night, the abs kicked in a couple times, then one time it didn't so i let off the brake and hit it again and it was fine.  fast forward a couple hours, going to leave my friends place, and get in and hear a winning sort of noise, check the engine bay and notice that the ABS is making the sound, like a lil motor running inside, and the black portion was getting warm (suspected it was running the whole time i was inside)  so i frantically look for the plug (night time) couldn't find it, so i demolished the fuse and it stopped.  today i put in the fuse, and boom, started running again, so i found the plug and unplugged it.  every time i plug it in it starts.  i am going to try and undo the battery, and also try hitting abs a couple of times and see if that helps.  

any ideas??  is there a relay somwhere that i can check?? couldn't see it with the rest of them.  maybe one of the sensors is bad and thinks that the one tire is never spinning there fore needing the abs to kick in??  but then it shouldn't do this when the car is stopped.  hmmm

any ways
thanz

trevor
o more DSM, 1990 JDM MR2 GT - Turbo (T-Top) on the way

Offline John Hartman

ABS Keeps running
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 09:13:54 pm »
put a voltmeter or test light across the terminals of the plug (that goes into the abs motor).  I don't think there should be voltage there when the key is off or even just idling or driving normally.  You could trace this back.  

does the ABS light stay lit? If not, does it check at key on?  Do the other lights go thru thier normal checks?(temp, cel etc)

Just diggin thru the manual, this is fairly complificated.  gimme a min.

well, there are 2  relays.  and there is a wheel speed monitor wire.  Besides the ABS ECU and the ABS motor itself, these seem like the most likely culprits, at least to my interpretation of the flow charts, diagrams and troubleshooting tables in the factory manual.

Looking further, have a look at the gap between the wheel speed sensor and the rotor, have a look at the teeth that the sensor reads for broken or clogged teeth(the sensor reads the spaces between these teeth and if some are missing or there are no spaces it frigs it up)

Have a look for broken/cracked wires at the speed sensor terminals.  I see these quite a bit on Grand Ams, Aleros etc at work, and it is indicated in the manual too.

if you can get your hands on a manual, it would help greatly.  This section is many pages long.

/Edit/  I am leaning more to the monitor wire.   or the relay in that circuit.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods