Author Topic: driver side headlight socket  (Read 308 times)

andrew tabo

driver side headlight socket
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:26:26 pm »
my headlight shorted and the socket for the lamp is burnt. Does anyone know where i can get a new one and if theres any discounts available through this club. also do i need to replace the whole thing.. ie, including the wires

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 02:25:34 pm »
have to look at it to see what would need to be replaced.  Take a few good pics of all the damage and  I might be able to tell you more.

As for parts, wreckers or dealer I'd say for that(providing it is all stock)

you could put a test light across the terminals(with the headlights on) and see if you have voltage there.  if so, clean up the terminals and you should be ok.  If not, check to see if you have power to the hot side, by grounding your test light at a known good ground, then touching the probe side to the hot terminal.  If good, you have a ground issue, of no light, its a power problem and you have to trace it back till you get power.

You can test the ground the same way, put the ground part of the test light on the ground wire of the headlight terminal, then put the probe onto a good power source. Illumination = good ground.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 04:36:52 pm »
I had this problem got it from Lordco, under $3.  You cut the wires and solder them to the ones connected with the socket which are about 5 inches long.  I might still have the package it sat in my center console for the longest time I'll let you know later if I have all the part information.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]