Author Topic: pipe comming off  (Read 814 times)

Dennis Chan

pipe comming off
« on: November 12, 2004, 06:21:32 pm »
me and my buddy were crusing around and we went to the highway, i was about to merge onto the highway and suddenly my car like stalled but its still running. everytime the turbo spools the rpm goes super low and the car slows down. so i had to drive without lettign my turbo spools all the way to the mechanic

brought it to the mechanic and he checked it out he said my intercooler pipe came off.. thats it.. so he put it back and its all good now

i was wondering why this happens? my buddy told me that my bov is too small?

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
pipe comming off
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 06:40:42 pm »
It happens because there is signifigant forces at the joints due to the pressure in the pipes.  They are not clamped down enough or something like that.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Patrick Chua

pipe comming off
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:48 pm »
use t-bolt clamps, or put some hairspray inside the hose coupler before putting it on.
1 TSI AWD

Offline John Hartman

pipe comming off
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 03:15:53 pm »
make sure your pipe ends are rolled or beaded and make sure the clamps are tight.

Not the fault of the bov, turbo, wastegate, boost controller etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jess Atendido

pipe comming off
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 01:45:58 am »
this is the exact same thing that happened to me this morning...or since i installed the 1g bov and uicp
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Jess Atendido

pipe comming off
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:46:12 am »
so it's just a matter of getting it tighter huh...i can use hairspray or brake cleaner ?
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Mike Schmid

pipe comming off
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 04:34:52 am »
Why would you use brake cleaner??

Hairspray will work like a lube when you put it together and then dry and act like a glue to keep it together.  Works good for handgrips on bicycles too.  I just use hose clamps and tighten them as much as I can before I think they're gonna break and it's workin' for me.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
pipe comming off
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 11:14:22 am »
:laugh: I remember when I made the UIP for my Talon.

The same night went for a cruse with a buddy, so It's spooling nice and hard and then BOOOM, like something blew up, then the car dies.

Well opened the hood and the UIP popped off from the coupler, and left a nice small ding in the hood :shock:, I guess the BOOM sound came from the pipe hitting the hood.

So I just had to weld a nice seem around the pipe end, that solved it.

Art

Offline Kimyee Lai

pipe comming off
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 11:24:23 am »
Yes, make sure you have some kind of bead around the end of your pipe, especially if you're going to be running high pressures.  If it's a recurring problem, or even just for peace of mind, T-bolt clamps are worth the $30-$40 total you need to change all your clamps over.

Offline John Hartman

pipe comming off
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 05:26:47 pm »
any seconds??

AYE!!

motion passed.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline David Sutton

pipe comming off
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 04:59:07 pm »
Had the same problem when installing my FMIC. Blew off a good 20 times, as I was trying ot run 20 PSI. Basically, I double clamped using opposite directions of force on each side, and spot welded each end. Never even budged after that. I found I also had to work the exhaust coupling in for a few days. Once it heats up greatly the rubber becomes sticky and makes a natural adhesive. I can't get couplers off now without literally prying them with a screwdriver, due to this adhesive that is created during the heating up of the piping. This method really only works on the exhaust side though. :P But yea, double clamp + spot weld > *. Oh also try and elimate as many joints using couplers as you can, this eliminates places were the problem can keep happening. THAT IS ALL. PEACE OUT DOGGS WOOF.

- Daveroonie
uote:
------------------------
Originally posted by Booboo*Fei
quotesomething like 127whp @ 19lbs of boostquote
he say it is 127whp exactly so who foolish now?
maybe read proper english he so clear it said there
------------------------

Offline Kimyee Lai

pipe comming off
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 05:41:38 pm »
I assume by exhaust side you mean the outlet side of the turbo?  I'd like to see somebody use a rubber coupling on the exhaust side of an engine :).

Offline David Sutton

pipe comming off
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 12:53:49 am »
LOL. Yes, that'd be a true DSM`er accmplishment. :)

And yea, exhaust side of the tizznurbo. :D

Fack I'm tired.

- Daveroonie
uote:
------------------------
Originally posted by Booboo*Fei
quotesomething like 127whp @ 19lbs of boostquote
he say it is 127whp exactly so who foolish now?
maybe read proper english he so clear it said there
------------------------