Author Topic: Questions about Non-Turbo / Turbo engines  (Read 443 times)

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Questions about Non-Turbo / Turbo engines
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:11:02 pm »
Heres the story, i was driving on patelo bridge and the gear on the timing belt got chewed up on the crank so the cams stopped and the engine ran for 2 seconds more then the cams and the pistons came up and hit both EXHAUST and INTAKE valves (all 16V) and screwed the head. so basiclly i have to rebuild.

Q.1 Is the head on a NonTurbo the same as a turbo head

Q. 2 i found that my balance shaft bearing spun, and someone told me if the balance shaft bearing spins the block is basiclly junk. I was wondering is a 93 Talon NON TURBO block is the same as a turbo block.

Q.3 Is the Non-Turbo crankshaft Different from a TURBO Crankshaft. My engine has some serious problems (the oil-jet for CYL 3 shatered, Main bearing got Worn out badly i think because lack of oil).

Should a replace the Timing belt tensioner because I was also told that the belt tensioner are not that good and to replace them when rebuilding an engine.

THANX for any help
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 06:04:05 pm »
what year is your car?
the blocks from a non turbo car and a turbo car are the same except for:
oil squirters and pistons.
oil squirters help to decrease knock and the pistons in a n/t block arent designed for boost! they have 9:1 compression and the turbos have 7.8:1(i think)
as for the heads im pretty sure they are the same except for the cams in a manual turbo car. the autos have the same cams.
if your goin to be rebuilding your engine i would replace the tensioner for peace of mind.... just one less peice to worry about.... would you rather spend the 100 bucks on the tensioner( i think there more actually cant remember) or worry about having pay to have new valves and timing done?
once again im pretty sure the heads are the same but im sure someone else knows for sure!
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Ivan Skare

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 06:10:27 pm »
So basically the blocks ARE different.

Offline Ty Abear

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 02:21:55 pm »
Whell dose that mean i can just buy a 1g NT block and transfer over my 2g pistons/rods and oil jets ??   :D

Even more so keep the 1g head and just get some kewl cams?

*Are 2g  turbo autotragic cams better 1g NT cams ?
I think I just solved all my transmission problems tonight ....all it took was a fat chronic blunt"  -Girvin.

-- '91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (White) R.I.P.
-- '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST (Green)

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:00:59 pm »
You need to have galleys for the oil jets machined into the block.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 09:00:18 pm »
what if i have a N/T block with the oil just in already. is the jets the same as a n/t or do i have to change the jets.
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)