Author Topic: Oil Pressure + battery problem  (Read 331 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Oil Pressure + battery problem
« on: October 17, 2004, 01:00:21 am »
I'm just throwing this out there, I don't need help, it's dealt with.  

Oil Pressure: The stock guage is the biggest piece of stinky poopoo I've ever had the displeasure of being mislead by... My guage would only barely move off the middle mark, ever, no matter what the oil level or oil or whatever.  I was a little worried that maybe my oil pressure was real low, well it ain't.  I put in an Autometer oil pressure guage and it runs abour 20psi warm idle all the way to a full 100 psi above 6000rpm or so.  The car has ton of oil pressure and the stock guage is a piece of crap.

Battery: While I was in Saskatchewan my battery croaked on me.  Just up and died altogether, never had a problem with it previously.  I think I might have left my lights on and drained it (I hopped in and tried to start it but it was right dead, I played with some switches and never took note of the light switches position when I got into the car, damn whiskey  :oops: ) No I wasn't going to drink and drive either, even out in the flatlands that's too risky.  Anyways, I charged the battery the whole next day and it was bubbling and stuff inside, it went up to 12V but couldn't make any kind of a draw, jumped the car and it was idling and charging at 14.3V (higher than usual) but as soon as I clicked the lights on to drive away the car died, just totally died, nuthin.  Anyways, new battery and all is well.  I've just never seen a battery die so suddenly and completely, thought I'd post about it.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Chris Clark

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 12:56:22 pm »
Get your alternator tested, just to make sure it's ok.

Hopefully you didnt get stuck in the middle of nowhere out here :laugh:

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 03:37:15 pm »
No, I was at my uncle's place so I just started driving the ATV instead   8)

I went farming, it was fun.  Actually we spent more time driving around in the field with a 2L of pepsi and a texas mickey of rye but hey, when in rome...  :laugh:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Trevor Robinson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:44:35 am »
I have experienced that exact result.  (although in my samurai).

Now from what dad and I figured out is that the battery had slightly sulfated up and some build up occured,  Since driving the car and bumpy roads the buildup was shaken up and shorted a couple of cells out in the battery.   Killed the battery and then sammy wouldn't start.
rowing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:17:05 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like it's probably right on the money.  I had a little bit of leaked out corrosion a couple weeks ago then out there I was on some gravel roads and the bumpy as a gravel road saskatchewan asphalt.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*