Author Topic: Idle problem, please help!  (Read 734 times)

Offline Goran Jandric

Idle problem, please help!
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:09:27 am »
Hi ya all!
I own 91 laser turbo and the problem I got is my idle. Its at 2000 rpm.
I've been doing some reserch and came across this:

"If the engine speed is higher than proper even though the BISS is fully closed, the idle position switch (IPS) may need to be adjusted (check your Shop Manual on how to do this until I add a VFAQ on it). If the IPS is adjusted properly, it is probable that there is leakage resulting from deteriorization of the fast-idle air valve (FIAV), so the throttle body will need to be replaced."

Have any of u had this problem and what have u done to fix it? I dont have shop manuel so i got no idea how to adjust the IPS. And yeah BISS is fully closed ( I closed it ) and its still at 2000 rpm. Car is basically stock. I've done free mods and I got k&n filter on it.

Any help would be appreciate..Thanks
91 Laser RS turbo FWD (RIP)
92 Laser RS turbo AWD 6/4 bolt (SOLD)
91 Eagle Talon turbo AWD
87 Bmw e30 325i
98 Bmw e36 328is

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 11:45:26 am »
It could be a vauum leak problem or somthing. I'm not sure, I've never had the problem. I really think you need to get a manual though. Even just the $10 Haynes one might help you with this.

Even though you live on the island, I think you need this to be in the main forum so you can get help from the more experienced guys. I'll move it for you.

Offline Goran Jandric

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 12:17:03 pm »
I think my ISC is the problem. I was doing reaserch on vfaq and found how to test the ISC with multimeter. There are six pins on the ISC. They are labeled 1 2 3 across the top and 4 5 6 across the bottom.

I measure the resistance between pins 1-2, 2-3, 4-5, and 5-6
Each pair of  pins measured should read 28-33 Ohms. The resistance between pins 2-3, 4-5, and 5-6 was 29.2 Ohms, but it didnt show any resistance between 1-2...so its got to be bad ISC.

ps. where did u get your shop manuel from?
Anybody?

I would rather buy original manuel  then haynes if I can find one.
91 Laser RS turbo FWD (RIP)
92 Laser RS turbo AWD 6/4 bolt (SOLD)
91 Eagle Talon turbo AWD
87 Bmw e30 325i
98 Bmw e36 328is

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 12:28:49 pm »
Lordco, Canadian Tire, most places like that carry them. The Hayne's/Chilton's manuals, that is. The actually service manual can be bought from a chrysler/mistu dealership, or ordered online from http://www.ecanfix.com/~manualcd/index2.htm

And good job on searching the vfaq, wish more people would do that :)
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 01:03:27 pm »
Something else that's simple to check is to see if the throttle plate is fully closed when your foot is off the gas.   Your throttle cable might need adjustment.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline JamieSibley

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 02:22:17 pm »
if 1-2 shows inf. resistance then the ISC is gone.  Good thing they are cheap *cough*
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Mike Meron

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 02:32:23 pm »
PM sent

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 02:38:04 pm »
When you pull the single wire connector off your idle position switch, does the idle raise further ?  or remain the same ?

If it remains the same, then it's your idle position switch which could either be improperly adjusted or malfunctioning.  Also the wiriing harness in that area tends to get a little brittle after awhile, and can lead to broken wires.

On mine, when the wire is puilled off, idle raises to around 1500

If the idle changes, then it could be a few different things.

Does the idle start even higher when cold and then slowing come down to 2000 ?  If so, it would indicate your fiav is probably ok.

When warmed up and idle steady at 2000, if you gently roll your car in neutral, does it raise your rpm's a little bit ?  The isc opens up to raise to idle to supply a bit more vacuum for braking.  If the ips is not functioning correctly, this will not happen either.

Could also be the biss oring...
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Mike Meron

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 03:37:36 pm »
ok settle down haynes manual warriors.. he said he has a dead coil in the ISC that is the problem, now if he fucks with all the other items and has them all out of wack then even when the isc is fixed the car wont idle properly.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 05:32:35 pm »
Check the throttle cable and throttle body to make sure the butterfly is closing.  It's a fairly common problem for a chunk of the plastic inner sheath in the throttle cable to come loose and wiggle out jamming the throttle partially open.  Happened to me up by the toll booth on the Coquihalla once.  I finally fixed it 8 hours and 800 kms later in Calgary when I took the throttle cable off, wiggled it a bit, managed to pull the plastic bits out and reinstalled it, it's worked great ever since.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline lynch michael

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 03:04:43 pm »
If youre gonna buy a manual you can always get the proper ones from a crysler dealership problem is theyre about 100 bucks and theyre more comprehensive than the hayes tends to be but depending on how much you actually plan to tinker with your car will tell you wish to get. I have the proper ones but i tend to browse over it for about ten minutes then blindfold myself and start wrencing. You cant wreck whats already broken.      

yes you can :oops: