Author Topic: Backfire, Puffs Of Smoke.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Backfire, Puffs Of Smoke.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 10:46:44 am »
Jovan, it doesn't do this when just say increasing the idle though does it?  I think changing injector pulsewidth is the reasonable way of doing that.  Under boost/full throttle in relation to his original question yes, but I was trying to understand if it did this just while raising the idle say to 2000 rpm.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Charn Gill

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 12:22:42 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
Jovan, it doesn't do this when just say increasing the idle though does it?  I think changing injector pulsewidth is the reasonable way of doing that.  Under boost/full throttle in relation to his original question yes, but I was trying to understand if it did this just while raising the idle say to 2000 rpm.

Yes, FP increases when I rev it at idle with vac lines connected etc. Since Im outside and under the hood of the car, I cant say exactly what rpms Im revving till But I can take a guess and say till about at least 3500-4000 rpm's.

I still have 550 injectors and the 255HP pump to install. maybe after that Ill be fine. I guess For now ill just turn down the boost a bit.
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 01:54:52 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
rev limter spews black smoke because it's spark cut though isn't it so it would be running rich.  black smoke = rich.  

I'm pretty sure that the stock ECU cuts fuel to activate the rev limits.  

Charn, you're definately running rich, maybe from a combination of things.  Are you sure your BM was sealed properly?  

Is your BOV the SS or the DD?  If it's the SS you can easily recirculate by bolting on a flange instead of the horn.  The DD, I think you can still do it, although it might interfere with the secondary vent port.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 09:55:18 am »
Quote from: "Kimyee Lai"

I'm pretty sure that the stock ECU cuts fuel to activate the rev limits.  

Yeah I'm pretty sure it does that was my mistake.  I was thinking of watching Jovan launch his car, and it spewing black smoke because it was cutting spark, but his isn't the factory limiter.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Charn Gill

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 10:18:10 am »

Charn, you're definately running rich, maybe from a combination of things.  Are you sure your BM was sealed properly?  

Is your BOV the SS or the DD?  If it's the SS you can easily recirculate by bolting on a flange instead of the horn.  The DD, I think you can still do it, although it might interfere with the secondary vent port.

Im pretty sure I sealed the B&M properly. I already had that problem and I took it apart, Filed down the edges even more and then reinstalled it. I would hate to do it a third time :?  So I will say that it is installed properly. Maybe I should just switch back to a stock FPR until I put in the rest of my fuel management mods.

The BOV is the Blitx DD. I probably could fabricate some sort of dump tube, but the problem would be keeping it in the BOV since I cant wrap it overtop (It would have to go inside the venting chamber) and there's nothing there to really hold it in with.

Tightening the BOV spring wouldnt make any difference would it? I did that as well when I installed the B&M.

But a more important question is, How much damage or potential damage can(or will) be done to the car? I plan on racing this friday and I know Ill be driving hard. I dont want to blow up half way down the 1/4mile. :(
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 10:31:00 am »
No, if you look at the BOV, the mouth-piece where the air exits the BOV is fastened with two allen bolts.  If you take that off, you can bolt on a mounting flange (the same one you used to mount the BOV on to the UIC pipe) and tie the dump tube in to that.

If you're running rich it shouldn't be a big deal, but what's the point of spending $23 to run at the track when the car's running sub-optimal?

Offline Charn Gill

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 10:41:37 am »
No, if you look at the BOV, the mouth-piece where the air exits the BOV is fastened with two allen bolts.  If you take that off, you can bolt on a mounting flange (the same one you used to mount the BOV on to the UIC pipe) and tie the dump tube in to that.

If you're running rich it shouldn't be a big deal, but what's the point of spending $23 to run at the track when the car's running sub-optimal?

Thanks Kimyee, I try that out.