Author Topic: Fuel Gauge fix?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Steve Stasiuk

Fuel Gauge fix?
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:33:44 pm »
Has anyone here done any sort of modification to actually get a relatively  accurate reading out of the stock fuel gauge?
I know there used to be a link on dsm.org to a page that gave the instructions on how to fix it, but now it just says "under construction." I can't remember how the fix went because the last time I looked at the page was probably over a year ago.

I had to run my car really low on gas for the first time last week (the needle was pointing way below empty), and now after only 120km my tank is reading 3/4 empty. :evil: Before it didn't bug me that much because it wasn't off that much, but now... damn!

Any ideas or suggestions? If only that page was still up; so many dead links on the vfaq and dsm.org now.  :evil:
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Sold)

Offline Afshin Eslami

• http://afshin.homeip.net/talon/
Fuel Gauge fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 12:13:32 am »
I opened the instrument cluster. It is very easy to do (6 screws)

Then I removed the gas needle. Filled up the car and let it idling on a flat surface for about 10 minutes so the gauge is stabilized. Then I installed the needle as high as the gauge would allow it. Now my light comes on exactly when my gas needle reaches "E"

It is a simple approach and it worked well and it was easy to do.

Offline Steve Stasiuk

Fuel Gauge fix?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:30:17 pm »
I am a knucklehead. The trip odometer was stuck at 120 :oops:.

I'm pretty sure that old page mentioned wiring in some kind of knob that allows you to adjust the needle through it. I thought that would be pretty nice. But if I ever do get around to it, I'll probably just do what you did, Afshin, 'cause it's simple and sounds like it worked out pretty good for you.
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Sold)

Offline Kevin Standeven

Fuel Gauge fix?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 12:43:01 pm »
I believe they hookd up a potentiometer to a the wire from the sender, but that's where my knowledge ends.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Roger Sieber

Fuel Gauge fix?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:14:55 pm »
I changed my fuel pump a few months ago and ever since then my fuel gauge only goes to half way. I can fill the tank full but the gauge only reads half. Which way is easier to fix this problem? The potentiometer method or move the needle on the gauge?

Offline stephen smith

Fuel Gauge fix?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 04:37:31 pm »
you might want to try pulling out the sending unit.. the float might be getting stuck on something...