Author Topic: paint places  (Read 601 times)

Offline kyle sametz

paint places
« on: April 22, 2004, 02:38:31 pm »
hey guys, new to the vancouver area so i was wondering where a good and cost effective place for getting a section of my car painted. it is the piece that is the highest painted part of the car (between the sunroof and hatch windows. I just need that section painted because (i believe) a disgruntled coworker sprayed some kind of chemical on it which ate through the clear coat, and in some parts right to the primer.
so i wondering if anyone knows what a ballpark cost of getting that painted would run me?
Any thoughts and input are really appreciated

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
paint places
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:54:41 pm »
Cheap = Maaco

Good = Starlite

COst is in the prep more than the paint, so if you got everything ready to spray, it would be cheaper.
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline kyle sametz

prep
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 02:57:07 pm »
so what exactly is involved in prep work. ive done a few mods on my car, but never any real body work, would prepping it be worth it for me... limited access to tools and areas that help make it easier
the best i could do would be to go to Canadian tire stores and the like

Dan Powers

paint places
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 05:01:08 pm »
Hey kyle, well basically to do proper preping.  Your gonna spend probally anywhere from 2or3 days to a week + sanding.  If you have never done this before.  Also the paint job usually falls to the prep work.  So if you miss a spot or what not, can't do much about it.

If you maybe wanna get a deal on paint, you can remove all mouldings, rubber trim, lights etc..  Also depends on if your doing just the outside of the car or the full body.  You choice.  Hope I could help.

Offline chao hwa yin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 11:17:34 pm »
Don't go for Maaco's cheap job,  they scotch brite your car than clear coat it, and the clear coat can easily blown off with compress air and will turn yellow( example from the moulding, edge of panel etc. )
00+hp 93 laser moded MT AWD $6200 cad  <--- SOLD   I miss it.
320+hp 90 eclipse gsx moded MT AWD
100+hp 85 daily driver ae86 moded with weld diff SOLD
0.017+hp 2 yrs tabby cat with 4 paw real time posi-claw-traction
90 Toyota MR2 Turbo SOLD
96 Miata and i am on diet to fit in

Calvin Ng

paint places
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 04:36:03 pm »
Donn Dean Collision in burnaby does good jobs hehe

Graeme Shaw

paint places
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 05:14:08 pm »
Yeah, but their people are bitchy as hell.  And not just Calvin, either!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Dan Werkman

Re: .
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 05:24:09 pm »
Quote from: "chao hwa yin"
Don't go for Maaco's cheap job,  they scotch brite your car than clear coat it, and the clear coat can easily blown off with compress air and will turn yellow( example from the moulding, edge of panel etc. )

How can a clear coat be blown off with air?