Author Topic: Where are u guys buyin your PCV valves?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

Where are u guys buyin your PCV valves?
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:48:47 pm »
The only place in Williams Lake to get them ,while in stock, is Crappy Tire. Due to the major lack of parts stores mine has once again bit the dust and is causing my boost leak. Anyone?

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:54:49 pm »
Mr. Lube put one on for me once during an oil change.
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:55:52 pm »
PCV valve?  whats that?  :laugh:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 11:04:32 pm »
$5+shipping :D

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 02:10:29 am »
finally got one ......3 days later,,,,, better parts stores needed here!

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 07:46:41 am »
Mr Girvin,

Chris wasn't joking...

Remove the PCV valve and vent your crankcase to atmsophere
Plug the hose barb off the manifold and no more boost leak!

If you thought finding a PCV was hard, find a hose barb with BSPT on it (metric pipe thread) and cram that into your valve cover, run a hose to a catch can

R

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 06:14:07 pm »
so there is no negative effects of not vacuuming out those acidic fumes?

I was taught that the engines vacuum pulled that nasty garbage outta there, making it a less harsh place to be.

What am I missing here?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 01:01:36 am »
John I am/was hesitant on this issue too.  I still have my pcv in place, but also wanted to run it to a catch can, but I didn't jump right on to that.  The way I see it though.  Under boost, the pcv is closed, which means, without a pcv, this is open all the time, so you have twice the crankcase ventilation area when the car is boosting without a pcv compared to with, because you have the breather and the pcv just venting at their will, but then under vacuum, you don't have anything drawing it through.  This means that crap will corrode and sludge things up because it is not really being drawn out.  I think this will only be a problem when things are not adequately ventalated.. Like if the pcv sticks closed.  I believe if everything is open, everything should be adequately ventaled.  BUT, there is still a lot of blow by gasses and crap that will just be hanging around because they have no reason to get sucked out.  They are only free to go out if they wish.   It's not nice to have these blow by gasses lowering the knock index though.  Ryan Lore or Chris Andrews thoughts would be appreciated more on this.

Wierd thing is I guess, is that when the most blow by gasses will be getting into the crankcase, is when the pcv is doing nothing - i.e closed.  So many for a turboed car it would be good to have twice that area for the blow by gasses to flow out, although under vacuum I guess they would all get sucked out without causing much damage.  Sure is debatable.  I'm tempted to keep mine in place.  What we really need is a pcv system, and another solenoid in there to open up when under boost.  Get the best of both worlds, but still no idea what to do with the blowby gasses.  Maybe get a airpump.  And suck them out to atmosphere.  150 lbs and 10 hp loss later though your perfect pcv system is done.  :laugh:

Also do aircare people look for a pcv when you go through?  For some reason I though they did, but probably not I guess they just check the tailpipe.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 07:53:15 am »
First of all the reality of it is nobody is really going to rot the motor from the inside out because of not sucking the blowby stuff out.

A vaccuum pump (electric) could be used to vent the gasses and better seal the rings.

Bottom line is when you take a motor and want to make a tonne of power, it will blowby more than stock.

Look at any million dollar HKS/Greedy/Jun/japanese tuned car and you will see that ALL of them run huge 3/4"-1" vents to a catchcan, usually placed coming off of the valve cover one vent for each cam lump.

Debating PCV ventalation is like complaining about these cars getting crappy milaeage while making big power.

I really doubt that anyone on this board would ever see a failure caused by "acidic conditions" before something else major either broke or failed.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 10:44:31 am »
Well the oil is going to get contaiminated faster/more so in that sense your engine will not remain in as good condition all else being equal, but yeah over the lifetime of the car I guess it will never really rot it out with good oil change intervals.  You would have seen a huge increase in oil change intervals on car made without the vacuum system vs with.

I like the idea that if it's not done in a F1 car it won't be done in mine, but they also rebuild/inspect motors ever race, etc.  I don't do that.  I think the EPA forced NASCAR to start using PCVs earlier this year.  Kinda funny.

I think I will finally get around to routing it to a catch can because now that I think about it more new cars have "normal condition" oil change intervals of 16,000KM.  So I think my car will last 3-5000km alright, it's a lot better than have a stuck pcv, it's better under boost when it is most needed, and knock.  I don't want to know who's there when the engine is knocking.  :?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]