Author Topic: Cost on rebuilding a DSM engine, or replaing it?  (Read 1778 times)

chad macpherson

Cost on rebuilding a DSM engine, or replaing it?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 04:34:41 pm »
well i know that i paid too much to get my 90 6-bolt  replaced it cost me about $3800.00 installed.  if i had the time and my talon was not my only car i would have taken the time to build the dam engine and get all the mods for a lil bit more.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 06:22:56 pm »
Yeah Phil, those high prices aren't a typical rebuild by any means.  Spend $8000 and up on a long block and you could make an honest 700+ hp.  

It's generally accepted that a stock block w/ stock internals is good for about 350hp.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 06:34:36 pm »
<quick hijack>
anyone recall the max psi you can run on the stock engine? I'm nearing 20psi, and I vaguely remember that being the limit...maybe 24psi with arp studs and better head gasket...?

and to contribute to the thread....
magnusmotorsports.com
They're canadian, and it's $3300 for their stage 2 block and head; safely run over 500hp 8)
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 06:23:27 am »
Quote from: "Kevin Standeven"
<quick hijack>
anyone recall the max psi you can run on the stock engine? I'm nearing 20psi, and I vaguely remember that being the limit...maybe 24psi with arp studs and better head gasket...?

and to contribute to the thread....
magnusmotorsports.com
They're canadian, and it's $3300 for their stage 2 block and head; safely run over 500hp 8)

maximum PSI you can run on a stock engine is as much as you want without your knockcount going through the roof. Simple as that. Fraser with a Front Mount and stock block is hitting 24 (i'm pretty sure it's 24...) and he hasn't had a problem.

and $3300 for over 500hp? geezes... define safe....

Offline Mike Meron

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2004, 06:39:25 am »
any $$ you see on magnus's site with regards to products is in USD so its $3300 USD for that block.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2004, 09:54:09 am »
and that's just the block... fyi

Offline Phil Robichaud

thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2004, 12:10:32 pm »
thanks everyone for there help with this tread :)

the only reason i am asking about this is because the next car i buy i want to be a talon and i want to do an engine rebuild on it right away so i know what the engine has been through...(no surprises) and i also want to boost up the punch alittle bit.

thanks to everyone though

-Phil
Happiness isn't just around the corner, happiness is the corner"

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 07:57:19 pm »
thanks for the info Ryan.
yes, the prices on magnus' site are in USD, but that $3300 was factoring in both block and cylinder head.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Michael Druciarek

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 08:41:15 pm »
Quote from: "Marty van den Bosch"
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
my goodgood friend said he could get me a new 2g engine from japan installed at around 3-4k ...

a) It is likely a 7-bolt, don't get a 7-bolt (JDM may be 6 tho)
b) JDM engines are not new, they are used but have low KM (no proof of mileage though)
c) For 3 to 4k, you are much better off getting a 6-bolt block rebuilt - it would be "newer" in condition than a JDM when finished

It may be common knowledge, but I just wanted to remind everyone that there is no such thing a 7-bold "JDM" motor considering they never had 2G's in Japan. I will give you $50 for free if you can walk into a "JDM importer" and find me a used block or tranny for a 2G:)

Offline Kevin Chan

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 08:54:04 pm »
There's 2G eclipses in Japan.
http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Initialz/other.htm
http://www.carmag.co.jp/IMPRESSION/DOMESTIC/MITSUBISHI/ECLIPSE/ECLIPSE_run_j.html
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~c-4g63/c-1.html
they even have the JDM eclipse tail lights... it's amber corners....
but they only got FWDs for 2Gs
how many eclipses sold per year when they came out...
1993 - 140
1994 - 81
1995 - 2181
1996 - 1087
1997 - 858
1998 - 488
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 09:29:18 pm »
I need a VIN from one of those bitches!!  If I can get a VIN, I can get any parts needed from any japanese car form our international guy :D

HELLO JDM!!

All I need is the VIN :(

I want amber corners :cry:

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 12:46:37 am »
Quote from: "Michael Druciarek"
Quote from: "Marty van den Bosch"
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
my goodgood friend said he could get me a new 2g engine from japan installed at around 3-4k ...

a) It is likely a 7-bolt, don't get a 7-bolt (JDM may be 6 tho)
b) JDM engines are not new, they are used but have low KM (no proof of mileage though)
c) For 3 to 4k, you are much better off getting a 6-bolt block rebuilt - it would be "newer" in condition than a JDM when finished

It may be common knowledge, but I just wanted to remind everyone that there is no such thing a 7-bold "JDM" motor considering they never had 2G's in Japan. I will give you $50 for free if you can walk into a "JDM importer" and find me a used block or tranny for a 2G:)

There's a 7bolt in my 1G that walked.  1G/2G makes no difference.  These engines are out of Galants.  And yes, there were 7bolt configurations in some years.  In my e-mails to jdmsource.ca , I asked for info on obtaining an engine, and they informed me they had both.  ANY JDM Engine that goes into a T/E/L is a j-spec Galant engine.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Eric Ringrose

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004, 12:59:31 am »
There's 2G eclipses in Japan.

they may have 2g eclipses in japan, i wouldn't know, but the 2nd 2 links you gave us are left hand drive cars. the first one you can't tell. the 3rd link also says mitsubishi america at the top.

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2004, 12:19:32 pm »
YEah, they were exported to japan from here, hence the LHD.  Check out the old 1G JDM gullwing.  Good times that.