Author Topic: speedometer is acting up  (Read 518 times)

Offline George Myshlyayev

speedometer is acting up
« on: January 27, 2004, 11:24:35 pm »
hey guys, i would like to pick ur brains to see if i can narrow down the problem im having.  here it goes.  my speedometer has been acting very weird lately. i start the car in the morning, it works fine for about 10km (sometimes more, sometimes less) and then at some point, when i hit the breaks it just drops dead (once happened when i turned on the head lights). after that, it might jerk a little as i accelerate but as soon as i reach about 50-60km/h it just stays dead. at times when i just pull over and leave the car running for a few mins, start driving and it starts working again for a little while and same shit happens again. usually drops dead after i slow down, hitting breaks almost feels like it takes power away from it  and when i gas it up, it some times starts going again. after i let the car sit and cool for a few hours, it starts working again.  i know on 2gs there's a sensor on the tranny, i tried reseating the connector and all. it clicks on firmly. i'm a little puzzled as to what could be the problem. all other gauges are working flawlessly. my battery is on its way out tho. it seems like it's heat related but the problem is most likely electrical.

*update*
on the way home noticed that when the speedometer starts going all funky the needle drops when i take it out of gear and let rpms drop.  as soon as i put it back in gear and pull it hard, it almost starts working again until i drop rpms.  reving it in neutral almsot doesnt do anything.
i am confused  :?   it almost seems like when my engine bay heats up to a certain point, something happens to the wire/harness and it loses conductivity until it cools down.  very strange.  gonna try testing conductivity before and after and see what happens.
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name
Boost very well by reputation ;)

Offline Travis Merrick

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 09:16:46 am »
thats normal...
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
speedometer is acting up
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 06:32:36 pm »
Quote from: "Travis Merrick"
thats normal...

^
|
Crack Head :P

The part where the needle drops off when he takes it out of gear and let's the RPMs fall is normal, all the other symptoms aren't normal.  

George: have you actually verified the connection to the engine?  Mebbe it's bent/broken when they went to pull the engine?
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:47:57 am »
I don't think it's normal when my speedometer needle drops when rpm drop.  it has never happened before, well until the accident anyways heh.  im pretty sure they fucked up when they were putting the engine back in.  i just need to know what got fucked up.  i dont really want to take it back to them because i dont want them to be driving my car around for days trying to reproduce the problem.  if i cant fix it, ill just take it back to them, they already agreed to take care of it.  im just a fix-it kind of guy.
I verified that the sensor plug is firmly plugged in.  Nothing looks damaged.  Gonna do some tests in the next few days, see what comes up.
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
speedometer is acting up
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 09:35:12 am »
whoops - misread something, obviously.  I meant the tach dropping off when you let the gas off and out of gear. My bad...
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Travis Merrick

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 09:38:22 am »
^
|
|

CRACK HEAD!   :twisted:  

I was just joking around about the normal thing.  Have u switched to indiglos?
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Kevin Chan

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 09:43:46 am »
how bout speed sensor? I thought there's one on the brakes? or is that only the ABS's speed sensor?
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 10:26:09 am »
my gauge cluster has not been touched.  so the problem is most likeley somewhere under the hood.  kev, there's a speed sensor on the tranny.
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name

speedometer is acting up
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 04:08:01 pm »
well after all, i was messing around with the wrong plug on the tranny (the one that closser to the fuse box).  after i took appart the right plug  :roll:  it was full of water and elements were starting to corrode. so this explained everything.  cleaned it up, treated with anti-corrosive stuff.  works like new!  :D
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name