Author Topic: Cleaning Intercooler.  (Read 377 times)

Offline Matt Feist

Cleaning Intercooler.
« on: January 18, 2004, 11:17:35 pm »
Well I just put this on my to do list for summer. I havnt done it since I bought the car so we will see how this goes. Just thought I would remind anyone else who hasnt either.

http:// http://www.myzero.com/misc/cooler.html
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Travis Merrick

Cleaning Intercooler.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 07:33:34 am »
Very easy matt, 12mm, phillips and a bottle of isopropanoyl (sp?) from walmart (cheap cheap like $1.00), when you get the IC out dump it down, swish it around covering the holes, put it all back in and walla =)  If you need a buddy to help drink beer while you do this, drop me a line, im a great supervisor =)
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Matt Feist

Cleaning Intercooler.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:46:03 pm »
Ha ha ha , will do man. I still havnt got my car back from that accident tho. Nor have I been back to work sadly. But when I do Ill definatly buy the beer. Being laid up cuz of my back has forced my to plan what my next few steps are for my car.
1) Gladman UICP
2) Tokico spring and shock set
3) Evo16g with Greddy Profec B and boost gauge.
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Charn Gill

Cleaning Intercooler.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 01:48:15 pm »
i did this just a 3 weeks ago. except i did it with gasoline. and in -8 weather. kinda sucked cause the gasoline took a while to evaporate casue it was pretty damn cold. I think I did it in the first weekend of january when it was super cold and snowing. I was bored. but i also removed the UCIP and the lower UCIP (its so much easier with the bumper and intercooler taken off) and cleaned/shined em up real nice. also removed all the silicone housings, was going to replace them but alas, it was a sunday and Kinetics was closed. but put shiny new clamps on all and made sure they were all tight. It probably took me about a hour to get everything off and id say it took me about 2 hours just to get the intercooler back on! by then it was super cold and i couldnt feel my fingers...... :crazy:
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Offline Travis Merrick

Cleaning Intercooler.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 02:10:08 pm »
i got mine out in about 10 minutes and back on in about the same.  
1.) jack the car up take the plastic shrouding off and you have exposed it right there
2) undo the uicp and licp and proceed to pull.  
3) Drink 4 beer.
4)Undo the taking off step, allow 30 minutes to do this as things may start to appear in triples.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Michael Cummings

Cleaning Intercooler.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 12:49:48 pm »
i just did this aswell with gasoline...came out blacker than oil after the first time around with lotsa dirt or rust or sumtin aswell...let it dry for a couple days in the garage before i put it on...the cars off the road anyways
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)