Author Topic: Poor little tranny, stop crying.  (Read 650 times)

Offline Travis Merrick

Poor little tranny, stop crying.
« on: January 16, 2004, 08:38:05 am »
While the car was up on the hoist yesterday and we were focused on the rear of my car, i walked underneath to grab the impact gun and noticed some wetness under the front of my car, nope not water.  Look up and notice there is fluid leaking down the face of it.  Look up a bit and notice it leaking from the tranny, so we have figured out where we are dealing with.  It is where the shifter cables go into the tranny is where it is leaking from.  Anyone have this problem before, i havent had a chance to get a good diagnostic on it, but I believe there is some rubber going into it.  If someone has had this problem and no what part to order that would save me a lot of time.  Thanks alot!
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 01:31:38 am »
it leaks up there??  Mine is dry there, dunno.

Must be a seal there to keep the oil out and let the shifter pass into the tranny to shift.

Did you look in the manual?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jack Lee

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 01:54:45 pm »
Looks like it probably the "control shaft oil seal" (part num: MD732405). If you want to replace it, you'll have to disassemble the tranny completely.

I had the same problem for awhile and kept filling up the fluid until I got off my lazy ass. Finally ripped the whole thing out and replaced the seals and bearings.

Keep in mind, it's not a fun job if you decide to do it yourself.

Here's where it was on my tranny (circled green):

edit: The seal was $2.36USD from partznet.com. Should be less than $10 here.
 ain't boostin' till smurfs start pissin' -- Powered by Smurf Piss

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 02:04:55 pm »
I had the seals replaced by Chrysler a months back.  I took a pic of the invoice to give you an idea what part numbers and labour would be.

994 Eagle Talon ES (Extra Speed)
Boost Friendly

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 03:54:28 pm »
OEM Parts cheap from me!

Offline Jack Lee

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 11:02:02 am »
I wonder if they changed the parts number from the time I did mine (about a 1 1/2 year ago) to when Gabriel had his done. Whatever the case, Graeme should be able to tell you the exact OEM number.

Just a side note, I did try to punch out that seized lever pin to replace the seal but that @#!@#$ didn't want to move. Hopefully yours will be more forgiving.
 ain't boostin' till smurfs start pissin' -- Powered by Smurf Piss

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 12:23:25 pm »
Shit, you guys kick a55!! thanks for the picture Jack, that helps tons.  I have put a piece of cardboard underneath my car when I park but the funny thing is nothing has came out since, the oil around the seal looks like it just has dirt on it, not fresh or anything.  Just happened when we put it up on the hoist, anyone know if 6 feet in the air off the ground would effect the seal, ROFL!
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 12:35:53 pm »
if it stops leakin, make sure you refill the tranny.

If you have, good, but I jst want to make sure.  Let it go dry and not only will you kill the tranny, but maybe yourself too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods