Author Topic: I think i need a new clutch...  (Read 739 times)

Alex Nazar

I think i need a new clutch...
« on: December 29, 2003, 10:11:27 pm »
I was about to leave my house this morning and my car wouldnt go into gear. The clutch pedal seemed like it had no tension. And when i press it to the ground, it doesnt come back up! So what does this mean? My clutch is gone!? I'd take my car to L&R but its not drivable. It'll go into gear when its not running, but when it is running it doesnt...I dont know, but i got no car till this is fixed, so if anyone with mechanical skills can help me tha'd be much apreciated.

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 11:19:57 pm »
does not sound like clutch, sounds like hydraulics or linkage of some sort

Just my 2 cents
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 12:15:35 am »
look under the hood at your linkages, make sure they are all tight and bolted properly..

if your motor is a 7bolt... which I doubt, then I think that is a sign of crankwalk... I think..

I had a problem like that before, part of it was the clutch... but most of the problem was the synchros. Does your car grind when it is going into any gear even if the clutch is all the way down? If it does your synchros are fucked, and you need to take apart your tranny and replace them. That will fix your problem...

if its not linkages or synchros.. then maybe clutch, but its hard to say until you take it all apart and look at it....

Offline Jacky Ng

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 12:17:57 am »
sounds like clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 02:20:02 am »
Quote from: "Jacky Ng"
sounds like clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.

:agreed:
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 02:23:41 am »
I had the same problem with my car, exactly the same, I was driving down the highway, tried to shift from 4th to 5th, GRIND, what the f**k, back to 4th, GRIND, oh shit.. pull over... (this was on the drive home after buying the car) so, I replaced the slave cylinder as it appeared to be leaking anyway, no luck, so I rebuilt the master cylinder (pain in the ass, cotter pin took 2 hours to get out) still nothing, so I take my car down to the shop on the corner, my clutch was in about a thousand pieces inside my tranny, though my problem was the worst case scenario, it could be your slave or master.. I hope it is for your sake... check your clutch fluid level, if it's abnormally low, you probably lost all pressure in the system, therefore you can't disengage the clutch to put it in gear while the engine is running, maybe try putting it in gear with the engine off, take off the e-brake and see if you can move it at all.. if the clutch is shot totally it might roll, if it's the hydraulics then it won't, just an idea.. anyway.. sorry for the long post.. it's late and I'm bored  :)
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 11:17:40 pm »
Like Jesse said, sounds like it could be an internal clutch problem.  It would be nice if it was a hydraulic failure tho

best of luck
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Alex Nazar

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 09:23:55 am »
Well i checked the hydraulic fluid level and it was really low, so i added more. But the problem isnt fixed. So now i guess it must be either the hydraulic lines or one of the clutch cylinders. I tried what Jesse said to do the day it happened and that works, but of course once im in first and the car is on, i cant get into second. So my car is undrivable and im not a mechanic so i dont know how im gonna get my car fixed  :? Oh and also my car always grinds a little from 1st to 2nd gear, ever since i've had it. And putting into first was always really difficult . I'd have to be almost stopped, and again, it would sometimes grind when going in. These are both problems i've had forever though....

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 10:10:34 am »
well if it was really low, you have to bleed the clutch.  Air is inside the lines and air compresses(thank god :) )and brake fluid doesnt.  Get that air out and see if it works again.

Your tranny is tiring out, but it MAY be the hydraulics.  

If properly bleeding the system helps, then change both the master and slave cylinders and bleed it all out with clean fluid(important step).  This should help alot.  Then you can adjust the rod and the shifter cables.

These steps made a big difference when I did it soon after I bought my car.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Aaron Moore

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 10:12:57 am »
Any leakage on the inside of the car through the firewall?  What does your bro say? He should know how to change the master and slave (If that's what need be).  They are both relatively fast, simple procedures if you have a manual.   :)
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Richard Nazar

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 02:40:06 pm »
Just an update on this in case anyone's wonderin, the hydraulic lines did have some air in them, so I helped my bro bleed them and the clutch works fine now. Lesson learned; don't let your clutch reservoir tank go empty  :roll:

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 04:59:30 pm »
doesn't really go empty on it's own though, you must be losing some, somehow...
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 05:47:59 pm »
agreed. inspect those cylinders closely, and it's a good excuse to buy a $30 braided steel clutch line, in case it's somewhere along the stock line
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...