Author Topic: Bad Ball Joint?  (Read 393 times)

Offline Jacky Ng

Bad Ball Joint?
« on: January 13, 2004, 02:17:26 pm »
I have a 2G and my left wheel has some play (up-down) when it's jacked up.  I had the ball joint recall done already a couple years ago but I think they only replaced the right side lateral arm, ball joint, boot but the left side was still in spec.  Now my left side is worn but the recall was done already so am I screwed?  Also my car is lowered a year ago (was not lowered when recall was originally performed) so is the dealer going to say that the ball joint goes because it's been lowered and refuse to perform the recall free of charge?

Before I go to the dealership and start bitching, is the wobbling/ vertical play in the wheel is related to a worn ball joint?  

Thanks in advance.

From Transport Canada:

The lower lateral arm ball joint can separate due to loss of lubrication. There is a potential for moisture to leak past the protective boot which can cause the ball stud to corrode. This corrosion, acting much like contamination, can also lead to premature wear and separation of the ball joint. This could result in loss of vehicle control and a possible crash. Correction: Lower lateral arm ball joints will be inspected for wear and replaced as necessary with newly designed lower lateral arm ball joints. Ball joints that are within the established tolerance will be cleaned and a special sealant will be applied to prevent the intrusion of moisture.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)

Offline Jason Leung

Bad Ball Joint?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 03:36:07 pm »
With regards to whether or not the dealer will perform the recall if your car is lowered... I've read it going both ways.  From personal experience, Richmond Chrysler did my ball joint recall this year even tho my car is lowered.  However, the original owner did all his maintance there and I initially had some work done by them too so they may have had pity on me.

Offline Kevin Chan

Bad Ball Joint?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 03:44:20 pm »
I personally HATE Richmond chrysler... my car's been there for way over a month and my car's broken in while it's in there lot.... :evil:
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Offline Jacky Ng

Bad Ball Joint?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 10:41:40 pm »
Actually I also do my regular maintance over at Richmond Chrysler and they seem to be very nice people.  I usually deal with Nelson and Scott.
Jason, when did they perform the recall on your vehicle and which service advisor did you deal with?  Thanks.

So are the symtoms I have indicate that I have a worn ball joint?  Is there any way to inspect it?  Thanks.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)

Offline Jason Leung

Bad Ball Joint?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 04:18:51 pm »
Sorry, I forget all the exact details of the recall because I just called them up to make an appointment, dropped the car off at night, and picked up my keys from reception the next day.  I think I had it done late summer (2003).  I don't remember talking to a Nelson or Scott.  However, I think I was dealing with a female that works down there.

My front right corner had a pain in the ass squeeking noise but it kind of went away for short periods after I jacked it up to take a look.  There didn't seem to be any exceesive play.  I just brought it into a local nearby shop who identified it was the ball joint.