Author Topic: Leaking power steering fluid at the top of pump  (Read 584 times)

Offline Patrick Chua

Leaking power steering fluid at the top of pump
« on: January 04, 2004, 06:18:08 pm »
I notice a small but constant leak at the top of the power steering pump where the hard line connects to. This may or may not have been a contributing factor in killing my alternator, but to play it safe, how can I stop the leak? Can I just slap on some rtv sealant around it or are there any cheap solutions that work? TIA
1 TSI AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:33:24 pm »
I have this too, VERY small leak.  If I clean it up it will be slightly damp in a day or so.  No drips.

I think maybe a new washer??  I haven't done anything yet.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 07:17:19 pm »
This is the high pressure line that hooks to the pump with a banjo bolt and crush washer ya?  

If so a new crush washer and a retorque to spec should fix it.  You could try gooping some RTV on the outside but I doubt it'll stick, I know it'll be ugly and I'm sure won't work.   :P

Do not pull the banjo bolt and try and put RTV in place of the washer, that will definitely not work.  Try torquing it a little tighter, if that doesn't work get a new washer.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Chris Clark

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 07:53:53 pm »
Get it fixed fast, you dont want the fluid messing up your altenator.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 02:52:23 am »
I had that prob once before........ I did the cheap and quick fix. I removed the banjo bolt and flipped the washer around :?  its held for the last 3 years though, good luck.

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 04:54:52 am »
yah i just noticed this problem on my car last time i popped my hood, checked the fluid and it seems fine, very small, just damp leak, gonna change the washer and see if that works.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Lowell Foo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 12:03:30 pm »
The high pressure fitting side of the P/S pump is sealed by 2 O rings.  If you take it apart you should be able to match them up at any good hydraulic shop or buy them from Satan.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 05:50:04 pm »
ahh, thanx Lowell, o-rings soon.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Patrick Chua

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 06:46:05 pm »
Lowell says he may have the oem sealing kit (new o-rings and washers)...
I blobbed RTV around the bolt for now but I think I missed a spot as the fluid still found its way out  :?
1 TSI AWD