Author Topic: service engine soon light :(  (Read 461 times)

Offline Ravi Gill

service engine soon light :(
« on: December 08, 2003, 09:24:53 pm »
Hi, i got a problem!!

I turned on my car today and it had a flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON orange light.  It was blinking for a few minutes and now it is solid.  What do I do? I believe it is an emissions problem or something that I can't fix myself.  Where would you guys take the car for a reputable mechanic?  I don't want to be shafted as I dont know much about this stuff.  The manual says take to an Authorized Mitsubishi dealer.

I don't know how much longer I should drive with the Orange light so I'll probably take it in on Tuesday (tomorrow).  Let me know where you would go!

Ravi
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Patrick Chua

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 09:52:03 pm »
don't panic about it, that's just a reminder that based on your mileage, the people at Mitsubishi are telling you your car is due for some sort of maintenance...

The check engine light is the one to be more concerned with, but heck I've been driving around with it on for weeks now...  :oops:
1 TSI AWD

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 10:20:02 am »
there is a way to get rid of that light when it turns on, some sorta button or combination of turning the ignition switch, maybe do a search, its like Patrick said, for the mitsu dealers to get you in there to check the light.  Then proceed to bombard you with things that "NEED" to be replaced.  Find how to turn it off and keep changing your oil every 4k
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Ravi Gill

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 01:54:51 pm »
Okay now i have a big problem!!

We disconnected the battery to try to reset the Service Engine light.  Well, while doing that, we noticed the car has an ALARM that we never used before.  I didn't get any remotes so I never knew the car had one.  

So now when we try to put the battery back on, the alarm comes on.  What do we do?  Man it's like im trying to steal my own car!  We tried to connect the battery without the Alarm but then the car won't start.  Connecting the battery results in the siren going on and we don't know how to turn it off!  Help.
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 01:59:38 pm »
haha that would suck!

sorry to hear it man ... I'm not sure what I'd do other than take it to a repair shop and say "pull this shit out, tell me what my car thinks it needs and don't bend me over, i'm pissed off enuff as is."

Good luck ...

PS: if you have the original owner's contact info, ask him/her for the remotes? If he says he doesn't know what you're talkin about, threaten to kick his ass. heh
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Ravi Gill

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 02:16:55 pm »
Bought the car from Texas!!  Haha im so screwed.
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:28:08 pm »
Find the alarm, most likely mounted under the dash, trace the wires, and pull the fuse to the power wire.  Done.

Offline peter chen

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 03:05:06 pm »
that happened to me too, bought the car without getting any remote and don't know that there's an alarm.  went to put an aftermarket alarm with remote lock, whenever i open the door the alarm will go off.  just put the key into the door lock and lock and unlock ur door that'll shut it down but u'll have to do that everytime until u get it fix.  good luck man

Offline Ravi Gill

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 03:53:02 pm »
Okay the problem is solved for now!

I called Beam Riders and the guy told me where to look for possible switches and it worked.  He said to toggle the switch after turning the ignition so the instruments are all on.  It worked...bye bye Alarm.

Now I need to find a place to tell me what alarm I have and where to get remotes so i can make use of it!

Thanks for your guys input!  I tried the door lock thing and it wasnt working.  My car won't let me lock the door from the outside...just open.  It's weird.  The key only turns one way.  And the key won't open the passenger door at all :S
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 03:57:47 pm »
Call Keith of "SoundsGood" Auto services

604-961-8626

He does complete mobile on-site installs of alarms and stereos.
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph