Author Topic: dip stick being pushed out  (Read 522 times)

Offline Clayton Ulmer

dip stick being pushed out
« on: December 07, 2003, 08:20:03 pm »
I was wondering how many of you have ever had the oil dip stick pushed out from too much pressure.  Today I checked under my hood and it was about 2 inches up and there was oil on the underside of my hood.  Is there an easy way of fixing this or is this a big problem?

Thanks.
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 08:23:40 pm »
Very common. You can squish the tube a bit to make it tighter or buy a new dipstick. Also check and replace your PCV

Offline Clayton Ulmer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 08:28:27 pm »
So I should have to worry about too much pressure by me squeezing the tube?  I would usually see it pushed out about 1cm most of the time, but this was the first time it ever sprayed oil everywhere.

Offline Wade Carlson

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 10:52:44 pm »
it happened to me too don't worry its ok

squish it slightly with plyers and put in a new OEM pcv valve and never worry about it again
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 10:55:52 pm »
As long as your PCV is ok and your other valve cover vents are ok you shouldn't need to worry. The dipstick problem is more to do with age and heat weakening the rubber seal on it that it is about sudden excess crankcase pressure. Last year on a hard run my dipstick also popped right out (messy :x ) As long as your engine is otherwise normal it's probably not a big concern.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 11:03:35 pm »
Yeah, it's a progressive problem that shows itself suddenly...

Over time the PCV goes bad, rings deteriorate making excess crank pressure, then the rubber on the dipstick wears and weakens with heat and time and mods increase boost pressure which increases crank pressure and then eventually the pressure/retention ratio crosses a certain point and the dipstick pops out.  

Pull the dipstick out, crimp it a little with a pliers and put the dipstick back in, do this until it feels tight but will still move in and out without major difficulty.  

Alternatively... you can build some kind of auxillary retention device.  A clutch style spring, only alot weaker, tied to the dipstick tube with a small hose clamp, so that you hook the hooked end of the spring into the dipstick loop would work.  Or something similar.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jordan Gladman

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 11:37:53 pm »
If you're piston rings are shot, you could be getting crazy blow by.... pull out the dipstick and put a finger over the hole at idle and see if its puffing air.

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 01:52:21 am »
thats what happend when i killed my lude lol
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 02:22:16 am »
I did an oil change and this fixed the dipstick popping out.... most of the time its just the worn seal, or the PCV valve... could be clogged etc.
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Clayton Ulmer

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 04:11:01 pm »
Thanks guys.  Nothing really to worry about, thats good. :D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 05:53:01 pm »
pretty much what they all said :)

this happened to me at the track, did a pass(good one too) and then thre was oil smoke everywhere, and I was SCARED!!

Popped the hood and saw the oil all over the place.  Fraser used some pliers on my tube and it was better.

But you know what?  the sticks are only $25 at Satan, so go get one :)  With the price of synthetic the stick will pay for itself in a few months
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods