Author Topic: Fuel Pressure, or lack there of...  (Read 469 times)

Offline Kevin Standeven

Fuel Pressure, or lack there of...
« on: November 29, 2003, 05:06:15 pm »
I installed a B&M fuel pressure guage today under the hood, and finally figured out why my car won't start in the mornings until I crank it a few times.
Fuel pressure at warm idle: 32psi
Fuel pressure while tugging the throttle cable: 40psi
Fuel pressure within minutes after the car is shut off: 0psi  :x
Felt around a bit on the fuel lines, and it looks like I have a leak at the bottom of the fuel filter.

Anyways, do the pressure numbers look alright for when it's running? Also, anyone on here ever do the SteveTek fuel line thing? It interests me...and my aunt gave me permission to use her garage anytime this winter, so I need a little project :)
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 06:16:02 pm »
I just installed a guage too :)

Yea, the running ones sound about right, but if its really just a few min before it looses all pressure, it might be a prob.

Mine will last 15 min or so and loose only a few psi.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 07:45:20 pm »
I know you installed one, that's the thread where I found out you can get them for cheap at Lordco :)

mine will lose 32 psi in under 5 minutes...not cool. pretty sure it's because of that leak though
97 Talon AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 09:39:36 pm »
yea fix up the leak, and you should be good to go :)

and not only that, but at MUCH less risk of fire.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 10:01:05 pm »
I thought flames were cool! Or is that only when they come out of the exhaust? All these ricer trends have got me confused :D

Has anyone tried the SteveTek thing, or does anyone know the cheapest place to buy AN-06 fittings and braided stainless line?
97 Talon AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 10:03:41 pm »
As far as the fuel lines go, I'd say the stock rail and lines are good for ALOT of power.  No official figures to back it up, but I didn't see a big fancy rail on Frasers car or Chris's car or other fast cars.

As for where to get them,sorry, maybe someone will answer for ya.

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 12:17:54 am »
I know the stock lines are good for up to 550hp or something ridiculous, according to NABR, but by replacing them you can usually stick with the stock pump for waaay more power.
I've done a bit more reasearch, and I'm thinking about getting this and then working my way back to the filter:
http://www.flyservers.com/members4/autoalchemy.com/images/DSM_0001_FRIA.jpg

That way I won't need that damn restrictive banjo-bolt, and don't have to machine my fuel rail and could go back to stock in a pinch.
97 Talon AWD

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 04:19:08 am »
most fittings u can pick up at Lordco, get them to check there B&M catalog.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 09:13:23 am »
Holly has a real nice fuel rail out, very nice unit for under $300 or so. And the good part is you then can slap in any set of Holly or MSD injectors without machining anything, cheaper squirters too.

Its funny this comes up now, Lowell and i were just talking about how our stock rails ARE adaquite~ish, but with age being a major factor in wanting to swap it out. Having recent evidence to  a stock rail splitting (during high speed) makes you wonder.. :)
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 11:26:09 am »
a fuel rail split!!!  :shock:

holy crap