Author Topic: aftermarket gauge setup  (Read 980 times)

Offline Charn Gill

aftermarket gauge setup
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
Thought Id start a post about what aftermarket gauges are critical for our DSM's, more specifically, which ones should you have vs which ones would be more or less optional. im debating on whether or not to purchase and egt/pyrometer and a wideband or just the wideband. Been reading up on both and many posts lean either way.. So...I thought Id open up the discussion here. (PS I also searched for an existing thread and couldnt find one. apologies if this topic has already been discussed)

So...what aftermarket gauges do you guys have? which are the most important to have?  ...Annnd Go!

thanks in advance to those who contribute!
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Offline kevin derhouson

Re: aftermarket gauge setup
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »
wideband, oil pressure, oil temp, and an electronic boost gauge..

though i have meth/flow pressure, wideband, oil temp, and an e boost gauge.

meth gauge will tell me if theres an issue with that system,

wideband will tell me if something fucks up fuel related as well,

oil temp will warn me of various mechanical issues, or how hot the oil in my system is for shutting down.

an accurate boost gauge will let you know if there's a boost issue.

an oil pressure gauge will let you know if theres a problem in relation to oil delivery, but often times i'd figure it wouldn't give you enough notice.. which is why i didn't add one in to my car.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:36:57 pm by kevin derhouson »
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
I've got a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge..... downfall with the oil pressure gauge is that the stock gauge doesn't function correctly when the aftermarket gauge is hooked up, not that one would need two gauges for the same reading.  I was considering just hogging out the spot whre the stock gauge is and putting the aftermarket one in that location just to avoid having a gauge that reads nothing.

Soon to come is wideband, egt, oil pressure, oil temp, and boost gauge setup for another car.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Kevin Altoe

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »
I've got a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge..... downfall with the oil pressure gauge is that the stock gauge doesn't function correctly when the aftermarket gauge is hooked up, not that one would need two gauges for the same reading.  I was considering just hogging out the spot whre the stock gauge is and putting the aftermarket one in that location just to avoid having a gauge that reads nothing.

Soon to come is wideband, egt, oil pressure, oil temp, and boost gauge setup for another car.

You can have them both function by making a T.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/using-a-t-to-install-an-oil-pressure-gauge.359004/

I did this for mine both gauges work. 

For me I have a wideband, mechanical boost gauge and mechanical oil pressure.
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »
i put these in order of importance.

-boost gauge
-wideband air fuel
-oil temp
-coolant temp
-EGT
-Oil pressure (stock system seems good enough, has low press switch (light) plus the variable gauge)
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:10:05 pm »
oil temp is really over looked and under rated.. but can really tell you if there's an issue somewhere earlier than anything else.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 05:56:28 pm »
for me the "Volts gauge" is at the top of my list....
It tells me the battery and alt is functioning
In the years of owning my DSM all problems but one have been electrical in nature.

My gauge package is
Voltmeter, fuel pressure (located in the engine compartment) boost/vacuum gauge.
and all the factory gauges
I have a innovate wideband but don't really look at it as AEM can log it (and display)
and all the factory gauges. (I am trying not to clutter my dash area with duplicated gauges).

Actually it would be neat to run an all in one digital display that looks like it belongs there.

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner