Author Topic: My problems  (Read 578 times)

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

My problems
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »
The history of this car are as follows... Bought off Craigslist for $900 from a kid in Langley. It's a 91 talon tsi. Everything seems fine so drive it to Armstrong for a wedding. Transmission dies... 3 months later find a used tranny and put new fluid, seals, filter in and install with matching torque converter and a used flexplate. Car does good till today. Now it starts making a horrible noise that I thought was the turbo rubbing but it turns out the flexplate has broken apart again and it sounds like the t case is grinding too. Now my thought would be that the tcase could have killed my old tranny? I changed the fluid and seals on it when I reinstalled it with the tranny. Now I'm thinking I need a new flexplate and a tcase. Any ideas? Owned for 6 months and it's only been driven for 1 lol also I noticed that the upper strut tower is cracked as well  and someone welded a plate and bondoed the passenger rear quarter panel since it looks like someone tried to drift it or something.

Offline Rob Armstrong

Re: My problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:09:55 am »
Sell it.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:58 am »
Sounds like my old buddy kevin's old dsm from the description you gave.   If u can do the work yourself then it's cheap to fix usually. U have to figure out why the flex plate keeps breaking. That's not normal!

Maybe the tcase or rear diff have the wrong ratio, (5-sp stuff in a auto) and it's locking up and wrecking shit.... or it could just be a run or bad unknown used parts.    from the sound of the bondo'd rear quarter and cracked strut tower, I would sell it asap!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:31 am »
I can do the work, not afraid of that. Strut tower I can build a backing plate and weld it up nicely. The wrecker I got the tranny from might still have the matching tcase so I will call them tomorrow and see. Wouldn't be able to sell it like this lol so might as well fix it and see where I am when the dust settles. It's either that or part it out and unfortunately that won't work out in my favour

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:32:08 am »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? >:( >:( >:(

Sounds like my 2g,  get one thing fixed and another (or the same thing) breaks.  After a year and a half, I have only put on about 1000Km.  Eventually it got to the point where I feel good about driving it around but I'm sure i'll have another part break soon.  That being said, I have a couple auto transfer cases sitting here that I probably won't use.  Let me know if you need one.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:15 pm »
I will let you know ... Just deciding if I should part it out or not and find another... The more I look into the strut tower and rear quarter the uglier it seems to get... Unfortunately it might be the only reasonable idea at this point. Also found rot under the doors that someone tried to cover up

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
I think Glen from the club has a champagne 1G for sale that looked pretty good.  Some assembly required, but the price was right.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:02:03 pm »
That was Graeme Burvill, unless he sold it to Glen.  But since Glen has been working on a 2g and lives in the Kootenay's, it's probably Graeme.
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD