Author Topic: 7 Bolt Short Block Rebuild  (Read 415 times)

Offline Kevin Altoe

7 Bolt Short Block Rebuild
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »
A friend of mine might be picking up an auto 2g for a good price.  Only problem is that it has rod knock.  Would he be better off buying a short block or getting his rebuilt?  Not sure on how much damage was done to the crank.  Anyone have an idea of how much it's going to cost him?
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: 7 Bolt Short Block Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »
well  with rod knock, you most likely have a messed up crank, rod, and piston, and cylinder wall...
rebuild will require new gaskets, crank, piston(s), rod(s), main bearings, rod bearings, cylinders bored, piston rings....
Im sure the oil pump will have to be replaced, and everything will have to be machined.

I would shop for a 7bolt motor if I was in his shoes. They pop up, sometimes already rebuilt for relativity cheap.  
If the head is good, then save a bit and look for a short block
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Kevin Altoe

Re: 7 Bolt Short Block Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Too much unknowns for the rebuild could run the cost up.  Regardless he just told me he backed out of the sale.  Pretty decent deal for someone who wants an auto.
vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/3323239652.html

The guy said he'll let it go for $800.  Has a 14b, fmic, exhaust.  He said he's going to scrap it Wednesday if no one picks it up.  Decent for parts interior is all there.  Body is in decent shape small dent on the hood cracks on the bumper.  Hate to see dsm's get scrapped but I have no desire for an auto.
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD