Author Topic: failed aircare - NOx.  (Read 872 times)

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
failed aircare - NOx.
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »
NOx 2494, allowable 1117.  Everything else ok (HC 23 - allowable 90, CO 0.00 - allowable 0.76).

Car has egr delete, cannister delete, new catalytic converter.  Guide says excessively lean conditions.  I suppose I could richen across the board via ecmlink.

Suggestions?

1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: failed aircare - NOx.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
are you running in closed loop?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »
shouldn't have been but wasn't hooked up to logger so can't say for sure.
dummy.  that should have been - "should have been, but wasn't hooked up to logger so can't say for sure"....

jason
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:53:48 pm by Jason Swan »
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »
Well u should have it setup to run closed loop with feedback being used from the o2 sensor.  That should help some.

Problem with high nox is likely due in part to the EGR delete.  Richening the mixture will help lower nox, but remember will also increase your HC and CO, which are fairly low, so you will have some leway to add fuel.

You could also look at taking some timing out as well, as that will lower the NOx counts as well... But as I said b4 that will also raise HC and maybe CO as well, so its a balancing act.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 02:34:12 pm »
do it. and log it this time.  ;)
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:02:27 pm »
I'll probably re-time the belt as well as there is the possibility that I can be one tooth out, which can apparently affect NOx considerably. 

I qualify for a 3 month conditional, so I will likely do that and make some mods before the end of that time (bug juice).

1990 Laser RS - sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:32 am »
if its out a tooth, yea, that has to be fixed.

But like Brett said, EGR and lean.  Those are two of the biggest NOx fail causes.

The EGR does nothing to harm performance, in fact it may actually help with part throttle tip in knock.  It did for me.  No reason to get rid of it.

And you have plenty of room to add some fuel.  Too lean is no good for aircare.  Of course don't go nuts, but you have boatloads of room on CO(rich indicator).  HC is not normally caused by overly rich conditions, unless you go slobbering drunken rich.  HC is unburned, not partially burned, hydrocarbons, so its mostly caused by misfires.

The other thing to look at is timing.  If your base timing(ignition) is off, even by a bit, you will get NOx, (and knock without methanol/water), and timing also effects HC to a fair amount.

But get that EGR back in, add a bit of fuel, make sure its in closed loop throughout the whole test, and check the timing, both base and in your maps.  Remember that the 'Link behaves in some ways like a piggy back system, so know that pulling fuel can add timing(I think so anyways, from what I've read)

As for your timing belt, just look at the marks, upper cover off.  If its off even one tooth, your HC would be rediculous.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods