Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 844 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »
well you have narrowed down the problem at least.  You have to start checking for continuity on those coolant temp wires from the sensor to the ECU. You got a problem somewhere on that circuit.  A datalogger/good OBDI scan tool would be usefull as well to get access to the data and then you could see what exactly the voltage or number the ECU is seeing.

To start with you replaced the two wire sensor correct?  The smaller one wire coolant sensor is just for the gauge.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »
Yes, I replaced the 2 wire sensor(the one up top).
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »
the one up top is to do with the A/C system... the bottom two wire one is for the ECU.

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »
Okay, that's next then, that's the one in the rad hose?
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »
Very low rpm, almost dies, I checked my timing thinking I had it a bit off when I did the timing belt. But it's spot on. I'm not very good with reading obd1.

Doesnt matter what you're good at.

Check the code before posting anymore.

Dude by saying I'm not good at it was meaning I've never run an obd-1 code before,
I haven't been with the DSM scene for long,
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Sheela krasnuik

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »
Seriously, it doesnt matter if its a DSM, Honda, Ford or whatever.  Just keep trouble shooting it, your getting closer and doing just fine!!!

Keep on topic.
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »
Jason is just mad at the world cuz he doesnt drive a boosted mitsubishi anymore...  just a plain old boring toyota.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »
yep, if there is a code, and there isn't anything REALLY obvious, just find out the code.

OBD1 is often easier than OBD2, because its nearly free to do it.  No code reader, no fancy anything, just a test light or buzzer or cheap cheap analog($9.99) volt meter.

And I suspect when you replace the correct sensor, and really check out the wiring(usually just the connector or the wire right at the connector) you will fix it.

That sort of circuit is simple.  MAF or O2 sensor or fancy stuff on later OBD2 can be confusing, frustrating and take a long time to solve but this circuit is a 2 wire setup from the sensor to the ECU and back.  Thats it.  No LAN, no CANDi, no fiber optics, no BCM etc.

PS, and Jason is right.  Why keep guessing and hoping for another answer, its right there.  Despite his taste in cars and his hate for cool ones  ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods