Author Topic: Possible causes for balance belt breakage  (Read 321 times)

Offline Miles Frederick

Possible causes for balance belt breakage
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:19 am »
The reason I'm doing the timing belt is that my balance belt broke, taking out the water pump (or at least it failed too).  The damage is not to the teeth, but completely snapped.  The timing belt itself luckily wasn't damaged.

What are the possible reasons for this having happened ?

~75000KM and about 5 years since the last timing belt job, oem parts.

As well the balance shafts seem to turn freely by hand.  Can this type of thing just happen without a reason ?

As for balance shaft delete, I have intentions to do so in the event the engine is ever rebuilt again, but was hoping to not have to deal with the removal w/ the car on jackstands..
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Jason Harwood

Re: Possible causes for balance belt breakage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:46 am »
Balance Shaft belts have been known to pop.
Which is why most people who do builds remove them.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
what i have seen it that the water pump starts to leak... the coolant seeps down in to the b-shaft belt tensioner bearing, siezing it up, which then shortly afterwards the b-shafts belt snaps
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:50:53 pm »
You should be servicing at 75,000km anyways.

I would. Just rolling the dice after that.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »
i always recommend changing the t-belt and assesories at like 50 000 km's if the car is driven/reved hard.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
its 90k factory, but if you are competing with it, maybe sooner. Or if you have stronger valve springs or bigger cams.  Those don't effect the b belt tho, so look for leaks or damage to the b belt pulleys/tensioner.

If nothing is siezed, and its not wet with oil or coolant, you may have just gotten a bad one?

I had one break on me(I didn't change it, it was long time ago and I payed someone else to do it) and it was just ripped in half, not a clean break.  I think he over tensioned it, as there was always a slight whine to it from when I picked it up.  Well, until I noticed a vibration at around 3 grand...

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods