Author Topic: Broken hvac temp dial  (Read 355 times)

Offline Drew Sale

Broken hvac temp dial
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:51 am »
Driving my car for the first time in a week yesterday and shortly after I started the car I turned off the heat. While driving up Seymour to go boarding I went to turn te heat back on and the dial was stuck on the cold setting. I thought maybe it was just sticky from sitting for so long on the hot position so I gave it a bit more effort but it was definitely stuck. So I tried one more time with more force and it let go and turned to hot. Only the dial was much more loose (even more so than when it was working fine) and there was practically zero resistance. I also noticed that it would turn to all the way hot but then it would only go back about half way and wouldn't go back to full cold again. And when I put it to all the way hot, no hot air comes out. I took off the knob and nothing is visibly damaged but it still doesn't turn properly and still no hot air comes out.
Any ideas?
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
Re: Broken hvac temp dial
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:51 pm »
the knob is connected to plastic gears, which have a post. A metal wire is connected to that post and that's what changes the hot to cold. Pull the part of the dash off and you'll be able to tell what's up. Chances are the plastic gear got jammed (something in it perhaps) and you snapped it, or the post, off when turning. Or it's all connected and you broke one of the metal clips that holds the metal wire (which has a sheath). Easy fix from a wrecker, either the hvac unit or the metal clip is broken likely.

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: Broken hvac temp dial
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »
I had a similar problem with the dial that directs the airflow. After I had hooked everything up, the cables sheathing had popped out of its seat, so the dial would turn but now adjust the airflow. All I had to do was get access from the driverside, and reach up and clip the cable in again. The cables are the same idea as a brake line on a bicycle. When the sheathing is retained, you're able to slide the inner cable in and out and make adjustments. This was on my 1g . Ide expect it to be similar tho. 

note**   all the plastic pieces are delicate. handle with care.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.