Author Topic: so my heater fan was working.....  (Read 652 times)

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
so my heater fan was working.....
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:36:27 pm »
now it is not.  Turning the fan speed knob results in nothing....

Still have warm air, but just through convection - there is no blower anymore.  It is likely the fuse went, or more likely the fan est kaput?  How much of a pain the ass is it to replace this?

1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline daniel sanat

Re: so my heater fan was working.....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »
could be your blower motor resister , or just a fuse :-*
1992 talon tsi

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
on my old 1G it was the motor that packed it in.  I think it will still work on High if the resistor pack is screwed... 

1g is easy to diagnose.  Just pull the connector to the blower motor... its a 2 wire connector so one will be ground, one will be power....  use a test light or maybe a multimeter to make sure there is power at that plug to power the motor.  If there on all the speed selections then you have confirmed the blower motor is the problem.  Make sure u use a paperclip on the ground wire to make sure the circut is fully used instead of grounding the test light to a other ground source...
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
If you need a replacement, I have one here.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:38 am »
still not quite sure why this thing stopped working....

was at pickapart anyway to get trailing arms and subframe, so grabbed a fan too and put it in.  Much better actually being able to see out the windows with the defrost running.....
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »
So that's what 20+ years of dust/lint in a car looks like  ;D  eeewww!
I wonder how much all that crap weighs?! ... and was it the weight or the junk gumming up the bushing/lack of grease that fries the motor?  Just a curious thought.

Way to go Jason for dropping your dash to fix that, biggg job!
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »
You would have saved money and gas if you had got mine.  ;)  :P
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »
thats from mice!!

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
I'm with Brett on this own - that was from mice.  There's probably a skeleton or two in the ducts. However it did add a little weight which those fans can't handle, there was a shitload of dirt and crud inside the actual motor but the real killer, I am sure, is that with the fan blades blocked the fan would have freewheeled and burned out from excessive speed/current flow.

Marke, was going there anyway to get the trailing arms etc so just grabbed it for the hell of it.  I will be by to get those lug nuts tho.

Richard, actually really easy to do - dunno if 1g and 2g are different but I was actually able to just drop the three screws and pull the motor down out from behind the glovebox - no dash removal required.  The heater box itself, I suspect that would be a different story.
1990 Laser RS - sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 04:54:12 am »
the motor is easy, the  heater core is holy hell.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 04:43:41 pm »
Plz don't remind me