Author Topic: Really soft clutch pedal.  (Read 896 times)

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
Really soft clutch pedal.
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:52 pm »
I am helping out a buddy who just did an engine rebuild and did his clutch as well.  He came to me saying its grinding if he accelerates harder than a granny.

To me it seems like clutch slip.  But I have never had a clutch that sounds like that when it slips.  This sounds like its being forced into gear under moderate acceleration.

I took it for a drive to see what he meant and the clutch pedal has 0 pressure so I started with the obvious : bleed it.  Bled fine, lots of fluid.  while bleeding it I found that I could disengage the clutch quite easily by moving the clutch fork with my fingers.  My first thought is the slave is pooched.

He is on a low budget so before I start replacing parts on a whim, I wanted to get some input.

Clutch and pressure plate are known good (used for <1000km before rebuild).  Throwout bearing is making a bit of noise

1991 Talon TSi AWD 5 speed
2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
2000 Suzuki DR650SE custom supermoto

Offline Allen fong

• Lying that my car fast since 1990
Re: Really soft clutch pedal.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:13:57 pm »
broken fork?
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.

Offline John Hartman

Re: Really soft clutch pedal.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:59 pm »
+1 on the fork.

Crawl under the front of the car, pull that little rubber boot off the tranny where the clutch fork sticks out of the bellhousing and acts on the slave cylinder.

Have someone push on the clutch pedal slowly down until the pedal is on the floor.  Have them hold it there for 30 seconds or so

Watch the fork move.  If it moves the full stroke and stays there fully for the whole time the hydraulics are good.

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods