Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:56 pm »
Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »
MCCC is Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.  It works well, but you can use GM Cleenz too.  Or Seafoam.

And yes you can use the BG thing, but I find thats not as effective for a really crappy one like I suspect yours is.

Do the MCCC thing as per VFAQ.  half a can thru the throttle body(unplug maf sensor and keep it running by hand, clear CEL later)  Then just let it die as you get about half way thru the can.  Then turn off the key, pull the plugs and put equal parts down each cylinder.  You want to stall it out with the cleaner so that lots of it stays liquid on the valves and the ends of the guides.

leave it over nite.

in the morning, put a rag over the plug holes and crank it for a few seconds to push out the liquid so you don't hydraulic the engine, then put the plugs back in.  Reconnect the MAF.

Then start it.  It will smoke something fierce.  I mean, really really bad, stinky thick blue smoke. Really embarrasing so if you can, do this somewhere NOT Cultus Lake  :)

Then, when its running decently, and is warmed up, shut it down.  Disconnect MAF again and get it to idle on its own again.  Then have a 1 liter spray bottle of water handy.  Spray it directly into the throttle body.  Crack the throttle by hand to keep it running.  Try to modulate the spray and the throttle so you have it at around 1500ish average while spraying in the whole bottle of water.  It will stink again.

In my opinion, the water is the most important part.  Think about a frying pan. A cast iron one, or steel, not a coated one.  If you burn something in there really bad, but while the pan is still hot, you pour in a few tablespoons of water what happens?  The burned carbon flakes off really quickly.  Its really really effective to get the carbon off like this and its the same on your piston tops.

Do this whole process twice.  Change to the -7 plugs, and do the fuel filter and along with 94 octane Chevron or Petro Can fuel, I bet its better.  Hell, I bet you can up the boost or timing once this is done.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54:38 pm »
Cool thanks a ton john!  Where do you get this MCCC?  Lordco? or you have to go to chrysler to get it?  Would be the same a seafoam?  

Oh and I forgot to mention, i have put two and a half tanks of gas through it so far of Chevron 94 octane.  I really only use the chevron 94 on my turbo cars.  I guess if I was REALLY REALLY broke i would go down to 91 octane i guess, but i like the security of knowing im using the best gas i can get from a pump when im rippin it at WOT.

And it probably is pretty carboned up.  The first few days i drove it everytime i boosted i would notice a bit of smoke behind the car... now that i have put around 1000 km's on the car its no longer smoking under boost.  So i bet a lot of the carbon has been blown away from me just ripping on it and using the good 94 ocatne with "Techron".

Ill post up my results from doing all those things john and see if it changes anything.  If not, ill change the knock sensor... and like i said before.. if that doesn't work ill just ground the knock sensor to the firewall and be on my merry way lol..

The car is running good tho, no complaints! 

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:03 am »
Well the 89 GT is back on the road!..

Mods planned for this summer

- 13g or 14b turbo
- Buy a small slim fan for the Water to Air Heat Exchanger
- 450cc injectors + 1G MAS
- Adjust intercooler so its not rubbing on the hood
- Mount my new tires on the 16" OZ chronos and put them back on the GT
-Fix up the tiny rust spots a bit more, cover POR15 with some white paint.
- Maybe new struts *KYB GR2
- Socket and new caps in the stock EPROM.

and from the feel of things, and all the driving and racing i did on her it seems like it might be needing a new clutch pretty soon.. feels soft and i can get it to slip a bit on a hard 1st-2nd shift in the dry.  Never a better time to upgrade to the bigger 1G FWD 6 bolt flywheel with a turbo DSM clutch... that should solve that problem.  And while the tranny is out i can finally change that damn shifter shaft seal thats leaking tranny oil all over the front of the tranny...

All this has to happen AFTER i get the wifes geo storm all turbo'ed up and running again.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.