Author Topic: New tires  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: New tires
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »
"how it operates at low/freezing temps is equally important"

+1

You can have the best suspension, power and brakes in the world but you won't realize it without a set of tires capable of using it for a given set of road conditions.

It is like trying to wear golf shoes while bowling or dress shoes for running. Not recommended. :D

IMO all-seasons are being asked to do too much. They are an economical choice tho.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »
So far the best set of all-season's I've run that truly do the job of an all season tire are two Kumhos - the ASX and the KR21. These Falkens are so far down the list as being even somewhat capable in any snow it's embarrassing and totally unexpected given their claims.

Ironically, Brett, the second tire is the one I mentioned - the Hakk5. Albeit the KW19 still beats it in the price category and I've found them to excel in winter on the DSM platform.

And hey, I didn't expect the Falken 912s to be anything other than a decent all around tire (which they're not IMHO).
Kristopher

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »
Yeah I was just poking brett. My second favorite online hobby.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
I have also used the kuhmo asx.

They were ok in the rain, passable in the dry, but did not inspire any confidence in the snow.
They do become much more prone to hydroplaning once they get worn. When I spun all four wheels in third in the rain I decided to replace them with some direzzas. Wow what a difference!

1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno