Author Topic: Painted Stockers  (Read 805 times)

Offline Matt VanDerZwaag

Painted Stockers
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »

After countless hours of sanding, prepping, painting and waiting, my wheels are finally finished :). I used Rustoleum gloss black and cardinal red, tremclad primer and clearcoat. I wasn't very happy with the clearcoat seemed very difficult to apply smoothly and consistently, not sure if thats just me being inexperienced :P  Although overall they turned out well for my first time doing any painting and should look pretty good on the car. Here is a pic, will post more mounted on the car later ;).

92' Talon Tsi AWD
Apexi Exhaust

Offline Graeme H Burvill

Re: Painted Stockers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:17:24 pm »
Looks cool man, let us know how long the rustoleum lasts!
Its amazing what a good day of sanding and painting can do to an old crappy looking set of rims.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:01 pm »
Sometimes you gotta scuff the paint up a tiny bit for the clear coat to go on smooth. Otherwise, hope they hold up. Looks nice.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Matt VanDerZwaag

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:18:42 am »
Yah I hope they hold up too, I guess this weather will be the true test of how much work I put into them :P.
92' Talon Tsi AWD
Apexi Exhaust

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:01:11 am »
when i painted my stockers i realized you either have to put the clear on about 10mins after your final coat of paint, while its still tacky, or let the base colour dry for about 3-5 days, then apply clear.  I got the best results this way, smooth finish, with no bubbles or cracking.  My painted wheels are on their second winter now and seem to be holding up well.
Yours look good, i did something similar, black with a polished lip, took forever to get the lips to polish up nicely though.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
The stockers actually have a pretty nice lip once you get the 20 years of crap off of them.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:51:14 pm »
NICE JOB!!  Those look killer.

I know about the work that went into them too, I did mine too.  That was about 6 years ago or more and they still look good except for a couple of chips from flying rocks and a couple of other people who mounted/dismounted my tires.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt VanDerZwaag

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:20:13 pm »
They look even better mounted on the car, goes very well with the red ;). Talon just needs a wash to match lol  :D As i was mounting them i did notice they seemed to chip fairly easily i guess i just need to be careful :P.
92' Talon Tsi AWD
Apexi Exhaust

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:08 pm »
I refinished mine OEM-style (silver w/ polished lip) a couple years back. They've seen some use now, and still look good save for the lips - I made the mistake of polishing and clearcoating the lip, which has cracked, hazed, and coming off a bit. Next time, I've got to find an acrylic clear made for bare metal. Or, you know, actually polish them.

Word to the wise: If possible, use a similar color of primer to what your paint will be, if you can. The first time I painted those wheels, I used a white primer with silver paint and then clear. Rock chips were clear as day. Second time, I used grey primer with silver base and then clear - Still looks great.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV