Author Topic: how long should a rear wheel bearing take to replace.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline GlenMartin

how long should a rear wheel bearing take to replace.
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »
i work full time and work overtime atleast three nights a week, and dont have time to work on my car anymore. so i had a rear wheel bearing replaced today. went in at lunch and asked how it was coming along. mechanic still had it on the hoist, and i said how long have you been working on it? the guy goes three hours. three hours and he wasn['t even done. i am pretty sure i am getting screwed. i know with a hoist and tools i could do it in an hour. i had the other one replaced about a month ago, and they charged me 2.5. which i thought was crazy.

or am i crazy? cause to me all you have to do is, take wheel off. 3 minutes. take caliper and rotor off. 15 minutes(at most), take wheel hub nut off. 30 seconds with an impact. not sure if there is another suspension bolt i would need to take off. but lets say there is. throw another 1.5 minutes at the mystery bolt for good measure. now push out the axle. 5 minutes. (if its seized) undo the four assembley bolts holding the wheel bearing in...2 minutes with impact (at most) press out/hammer out the old wheel bearing. 5 minutes if seized.

assembly is reverse of above and should take less time. the 2g wheel bearing comes in an assembley. like hub. its not like the 1g bearing that has to be pressed in. can someone please tell me i am missing something that is going to take 2 hours, so i dont feel like i am totaly getting hosed.

hate my life. bye bye last paycheck.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Jason Harwood

Re: how long should a rear wheel bearing take to replace.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
Theyre supposed to charge you what the book time for the job is. So its consistant.

Thats.... what im told though.... you are getting screwed.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:46 pm »
ya i always thought that the old book time was the most they would charge you for something. book time was 2.5 for one side. if i did two sides it would have been 2 hours a side.

i got charged 4 hours for one side..yeeehaaa love paying that. i even said to him that i paid $165 for the last one and he was like oh this one is different i had to take the whole axle out from your suspension.......i was like oh you mean you had to take it out of the differential? and he is like ya ya that.

hoooooooooooooooooooosssssssed so bad.

man (no offense to any mechanics here) but why the hell are they so shady......fuck. paid $185 for the past one, and i thought that was retarded. so i went to a new place and got charged $350. i feel like i have been touched by an old man or something in a dirty way.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:56:09 pm »
cause to me all you have to do is, take wheel off. 3 minutes. take caliper and rotor off. 15 minutes(at most), take wheel hub nut off. 30 seconds with an impact. not sure if there is another suspension bolt i would need to take off. but lets say there is. throw another 1.5 minutes at the mystery bolt for good measure. now push out the axle. 5 minutes. (if its seized) undo the four assembley bolts holding the wheel bearing in...2 minutes with impact (at most) press out/hammer out the old wheel bearing. 5 minutes if seized.

I dunno man...if they're seized they could take much longer than that.
One of my rear ones was on so bad it took 4 hours to replace...and one of the front ones took over 5.5 hours. All of it was seized together and was even heated up red hot and put on a 32 tonne hydraulic press and still nothing. All that happened was tools broke.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »
I had a rear 1g wheel bearing (which is the press on type) take about 2 days, 4-5 hours a day. Finally I just pulled the entire hub/LCA and brought it over to Tommy, but even then they had to press it hard enough to mushroom the axle stub slightly. Worst wheel bearing I've ever come across. That one was just f*cked.
(it was salvageable)
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 06:52:21 pm »
the guy at the new shop you took it to probably didn't know the car well.. and it took him a long time.  If you know what your doing a rear bearing on a 2G should be done easily in 1.5 hours.

Unless it was siezed... if that was the case they would have stated so.

I personally would go back to the shop in question with your invoice and ask for some money back.  If it was siezed they would have said so.. which they did not.

If they are a decent shop they will do what it takes to make things right and keep your buisness.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:43 am »
he claims it was siezed. but it wasn't. he said he had to take all my suspension right off. i asked to see the vehicle while it was still in there air. no signs of it being taken off. there was still dirt everywhere, and grease. rust on some of the bolts. plus i saw the puller the guy used to push the axle out it was sitting right on the bench.

the guy thought i was an idiot and knew nothing about cars and thought he could hose me......well he thought right i guess cause without video evidence its his word against mine, and lets face it i had to pay the guy to get my car back. fucking shady mechanics man.

Offline Steele Ingham

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:41:40 pm »
Glen Who was It Around Here?
95 Talon (Eclipse Conversion)
FMIC
CarbonFibre eclipse oem sproiler
14b,fpr,walboro 255
Work In Progress.........

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:31:18 pm »
Glen Who was It Around Here?

apple auto service in trail.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »
This guy is probably good buddies with Frank at Top End.  LOL
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »
2.0hrs.

But since it's a DSM... Anywhere from 10-20.

Dayss  :o
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:02 am »
2.0hrs.

But since it's a DSM... Anywhere from 10-20.

Dayss  :o

i ove your post. ah days.....beauty.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
Well.. realistically speaking haha.

Buy/Order Bearings

Have them sit in your car/shop for two weeks.

Think about finally doing it and forgetting you needed x part(s) before going through with it OR getting tied up doing something else

Lose another week almost then finally get sick of the noise from the bearing and do them on a random day of the week.
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."