Author Topic: help: replacing negative battery cable on a 420a  (Read 771 times)

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

help: replacing negative battery cable on a 420a
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:00:37 pm »
i know most of you have 4g63 but some have 420a or have dealt with it one way or another.. i'm lookin' to replace the negative battery cable on mine since it's showing some bad corrosion and i called up richmond mitsu and apparently the positive and negative cables come together and can't just buy negative.. i'm wondering it there's a way to just replace the negative one?

tia
mark

Offline Josh Royle

• 6 Bolt Swap
Re: help: replacing negative battery cable on a 420a
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:43 pm »
what gauge is the wire? You could most likely go to home depot and purchase the same gauge wiring and go to Canadian tire to buy the fitting.
1998 GST
Built 6 Bolt Swap/ 3" Turbo Back /Blitz BOV/Apexi SAFC/AutoMeter Cobalt Boost.Oil Prs. AF Gauge/MBC/Hard Intake pipe/Skunk 2/ HID 10K/ FMIC

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:35 pm »
Canadian tire sells battery negative kits (also known as ground wires) they're under 10$.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »
well the thing is richmond mitsu says it comes as a 1 piece thing where positive and negative are together somehow which comes to $129.. i'll try to check it out tomorrow and see if it can easily be split where i can just replace the negative instead.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »
For that price, I might be tempted to just replace it all.  If one set of wires is corroding, the other ones are probably getting close to it or are already, but invisibly inside the insulation.

If you are really short on cash, you can make up a ground wire, or measure the lenght you need and go to Lordco for a generic on in that lenght.  We do that at work on cars where the owner is short of cash.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »
i took a look at it today and was able to trace the wire.. it seems like both negative and positive wires were just wrapped together in a plastic cylinder wrap of some sort.. i am currently short in cash so i might just get a generic one from lordco..

what would be suggested for me to do with the old negative wire?, cut up that plastic wrap, free up the negative wire and fully take it out? OR just cut out the negative wire from on end of the wrap and the other end and leave the leftover negative wire wrapped together with the positive one OR don't cut it and leave it as is but safely tucked away from any moving parts?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »
cut it out of the car, no use leaving it there for issues/problems later.

Then take it with you so you know what kinds of ends it has and how long.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:01 am »
Sounds good. Thanks!
I'll work on it after my week of nighshifts