Author Topic: oil in coolant  (Read 390 times)

Offline Dennis Johnston

oil in coolant
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »
My coolant looks like chocolate milkshake. My oil looks like oil (no cream).

Rebuild the head last season. Reassembled during the winter months. Didn't have any problems before.

Possibilities:
1) Head gasket bad or warped head.
Used a felpro composite, not metal. Surface prepped ever-so-nicely and dry. ARPs torqued to spec. Head and block checked. Car runs nicely, no smoke and compression is great.

2) Oil filter housing.
Installed the oil filter and it made a nice 'crack' when I tightened it.

I hope some of you smart guys would have some ideas on my milkshake, I'm thinking its the oil filter housing but not too sure how to diagnose. Help?

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
Re: oil in coolant
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »
compression test would tell you if you've blown part of your headgasket clean out to an oil passage, hope not for your sake

cracked oil cooler would require manual inspection i think, or a coolant pressure testing may work (also tell you if you've popped your HG between a coolant passage and cylinder, but it doesn't sound like it)

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »
If you suspect you heard a crack when spinning on the new filter then the assembly comes off relatively easy (the sandwiched part) if I recall. Remove and clean then you know.
Kristopher

Offline Andrew Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:42 pm »
i had this issue too. this is what mine was. check out the second cylinder from the bottem, you can see where oil and coolent where mixing, but not getting in the to cylinders.

1992 GTO Twin Turbo (sold)
1990 broke ass talon (parted out)
1976 caged corolla

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07:42 am »
Leak down test would be the best to find out if its the HG.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
DO NOT CRANK OR TURN THE ENGINE OVER ANYMORE, until you change the oil and filter.

99% of engines that have been run on "chocholate milk"  "cafe latte", "milkshake"  etc, which is a mix of oil and coolant do not last much longer.  Of course you will hear of people who will say its perfectly fine to just change the oil and drive it but I respectfully say "nay" to that.

Change the engine oil and filter, and when you change the filter see if the big center bolt on the filter housing spin-on part is loose.  Also, if you can pressurize the cooling system with the engine off, look in the oil cooler and see if its leaking in there.

Then, don't drive the car, but you can now safely crank it over a few times for diagnostic purposes.

Leak down, compression test, pressurize the coolant and look/listen for leaks.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods