Author Topic: My solution to a cracked oil cooler  (Read 585 times)

Offline Dave Ingham

My solution to a cracked oil cooler
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »
After finally getting my 92 Talon back on the road after some much needed maintenance and putting my 97 Talon away, about the only thing that I haven't changed on the car decided to break. The oil cooler cracked which in turn allowed for a large amount of oil to enter into the cooling system. Being that this is my daily driver I needed to make something fast. So after about 4.5 hours on the lathe, milling maching, and buffing wheel I came out with this:

It is an oil filter spacer than replaces the factory coolant cooled oil cooler. It started life as a 3.25" piece of aluminum round stock that I bored multiple holes in and then cut some fairly deep grooves into it to hopefully allow for some cooling affect.
1992 Talon TSi FWD ~ 380whp - Parted Out
1997 Talon TSi AWD ~ stock - Traded In
2010 Focus Coupe SES ~ 5000k HID Headlights, 3000k HID Fogs, RallyArmor Urethane Mudflaps, and 20% rear tint - Daily Driver

Offline John Hartman

Re: My solution to a cracked oil cooler
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:38 pm »
NICE Fing JOB MAN!!!

I would strongly suggest you put a cooler back in, or put an aftermarket one in, the turbo center bearing gets hot and the whole engine runs quite warm too.  I suspect its from the turbo and manifold tho, the N/T cars don't have a cooler there.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dave Ingham

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:21 pm »
Being that I still have a water cooled turbo, I am not to worried about oil temp. I took it for a very spirited drive yesterday and I could still touch the cooling fins. Of course they were hot but not any hotter than a rad hose. I also change my oil every 5000 km so I shouldn't really have to worry about thermal break down. I have read a few threads on tuners about guys with forward facing OFH's and they haven't seen any negative side effects of not running an oil cooler.
2010 Focus Coupe SES ~ 5000k HID Headlights, 3000k HID Fogs, RallyArmor Urethane Mudflaps, and 20% rear tint - Daily Driver

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »
good to know  :)

How much would you want to sell those for?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dave Ingham

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:01 pm »
I probably wouldn't make another one because I built it with a buddy at his house. I do not have the tools, nor the time, as I am an engineering student at ubco, to start making these. Thank you very much for your interest though as well as your possitive comments.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:15:53 am »
or you can swap on a 1990 filter housing, they have the threaded holes in them for a external oil cooler, plus no stupid water/oil cooler to deal with EVER!  Thats what i run on my cars if i can.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Dave Ingham

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:50:52 am »
Yeah, that is what I would have done if one as available to me, but unfortunately I dont know of any junk yards that have a 90 dsm with the engine still in it. I could have also bought a 90 FH from numorous US vendors but as previously stated, this car is my dd and I needed to fix it asap.