Author Topic: Summer Meet in Tofino - August 15th-16th  (Read 6979 times)

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Summer Meet in Tofino - August 15th-16th
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 10:23:30 pm »
On topic please, guys.

This is three weeks away!

I will be sending PM's to people who've expressed interest to remind them of this thread, and to confirm attendance.

I would love to see a dozen DSM's driving up!

Again, for those who are coming, please post and say so.
If you haven't arranged for accomodations of some sort (even if a campsite or field by a dirt road), now is the time.

Lastly, if anyone has a couple radios they'd be willing to bring, it could help alot with keeping the group together and keeping tabs on what's going on around the group.

Lets make this happen...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:56:09 pm by CamWeiss »
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 10:40:15 pm »
well im got sunday, monday and tuesday off this week so im going to try and get my car totally gutted under the hood... and hopefully have the new motor assembled and in next weekend. then provided i get the little bits and pieces togethor hopefully she will run before this meet.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2009, 01:24:11 pm »
Howdy

I'm more of a lurker here than active but I live in Port Alberni, and Tofino is just a short jaunt for me so I am planning to go up for the day. Any plans for a show & shine/meet & greet?

I was on that highway just 2 weeks ago, and other than obscene tourist traffic, and the occasional heave or sinkhole its great condition. Most of the tourista's pack it in by supper time, so traffic drops off after 7PM.

If the weather continues hot like this (40C in Port yesterday; maybe again today), you might want to plan a couple of stops to take a dunk. There is a beach right next to the highway on the Nanaimo end of Cameron lake that is mere seconds off the road. Some folks are swimming the river/inlet just about 1km west of where the highway passes through downtown Port Alberni. There is also easy beach access at Sproat lake Prov. Park, about 10mins further toward Tofino and at about 45km west there is an excellent spot on the Kennedy river, where it cuts through some bedrock to create pools deep enough for diving. Then there is a small beach/boat launch on Kennedy lake, roughly 65km from Port.

I am checking to see if there are any car shows in Port that weekend; anyone whose has spent time here can tell you that Alberni is a muscle-car/vintage/collectible haven.

A couple of gotchas for those who have never made the trip -

* If you take the Coombs/ Errington exit off the freeway, there is the Coombs tourist-trap. Nice but the highway can get choked by stupid tourists (is there any other kind?)

*Cathedral Grove is beautiful, but the tourists are exceptionally STUPID when it comes to parking/merging on the highway here.

*If you want to grab some of Dr. Ho's magic elixer (Horton's) in Port, making a left turn back onto the main road is basically futile. If you do drive through, exit right (back up the hill), take the next left, then the next left again, down to Gertrude Ave, left again, then right at the lights, and you are back on the road to Tofino. If you go inside, then exit the Timmy's on the side road instead of the main, go left & follow the road as it turns right, go straight down to Gertrude, turn right, then left at the lights, and again you are on the road to Tofino.

*If you want to grab a bite of excellent cuisine during your pit-stop, then there is an Japanese restaurant in the motel on the left just as you arrive in Port. Some have told me the service can be slow, but it has always been good for us, and the food is great. If you are up for fish & chips, then just a couple of blocks west of the Tim Horton's is a restaurant in an old church called Bare Bones that is also excellent; but they only do fish & chips, a bit of salad or soup; limited menu.

*If you are in need of parts/repairs/etc, there is a Canadian Tire, Wally-world, LordCo all in 2 large malls opposite each other; you can't miss 'em

Regards
Ken
1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2009, 06:46:55 pm »
I wouldn't mind stopping at Cameron Lake - I'm named after it.

I think any up-island and Alberni members who are coming can be met along the route - Perhaps a stop in Nanaimo/Alberni, or Nanaimo/Cameron Lake.

My thoughts on a show would have been that once we get to Tofino we could all do a photo op and show'n'shine when everyone arrives - My other thought being that it would be great to do a group drive up (a la Fraser Valley Tour).

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
If you want a good hitching post around which to corral a posse, there is also an old school drive-in burger joint just off the route thru town.

At the intersection of the highway & Gertrude St, there is a 7-11. Turn left there & go 2 blocks; its on the right. Post an ETA, and I could meet you there. I can't commit to a sched for my run to Tofino, have family from up north & a friend from Germany in town that same weekend.

Are there any other members in Port? I see a few DOA 1ga's around town, 1 or 2 functional units, and there is a wicked 2g occasionally spotted, but I've never chatted.

regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2009, 09:38:00 am »
One Week!

For those of us who will be doing a group drive up, we need to finalize a plan.

I would like to leave Victoria around 10:30 or 11 AM.
This would mean stopping in Duncan for approximately 11:45, and in Nanaimo at.... 12:45?

Input please, folks.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2009, 11:50:08 am »
I'm not going to be able to make it.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2009, 04:05:10 pm »
my car wont be done in time.  :-\
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2009, 08:15:40 pm »
The current forecast for that weekend is SUNSHINE  :D

Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline Goran Jandric

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2009, 11:55:57 am »
Looks like there is not enough of interest...Sadly I knew this would happen.
I'm out.
91 Laser RS turbo FWD (RIP)
92 Laser RS turbo AWD 6/4 bolt (SOLD)
91 Eagle Talon turbo AWD
87 Bmw e30 325i
98 Bmw e36 328is

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »
If there's anyone who's actually planning to show up, please post.

As I stated earlier, I will be going up regardless and would, at the very least, enjoy the drive up with a couple other cars.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2009, 09:28:58 pm »
With current events and such in my personal life, the whole weekend is a no-go for me. I might decide to show up on Saturday mid to late afternoon and spend the night but this is more than likely not an option.
Yeah I do get that as the "planner" it's shitty for me not to go, but when the thought was first put through, some affecting factors were simply not in the realms of possibility until they became such.

Sorry to disappoint even after my bickering of the lack of Island events.
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
I just found out I have a FLOOD of relatives arriving saturday...I could meet & have a quick chat with anyone stopping in Port on the way, but no spare time even for a Tofino run & back.

regrets
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »
Well, sod it all.

I guess I'm on my own then.

[mod/s, could you please close & delete...]