Author Topic: Talon Progress *new pics page3*  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Talon Progress *new pics page3*
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 12:41:55 am »
Okay, update time.  So I fixed the coolent leak last time I posted.  So friday night im out at a house part with friends and im reving the engine up to show my buddies the turbo spool.  Anyways pressure found another hose that was weak (heater core hose this time) and it blows up and shoots coolent 10 feet into the air all over everything.  No biggy, got a new hose in the moring and fixed it up and drove it back home.  Go to chevron and fill the talon up with some 94 octane.  Install MBC and crank it to around 11-12 psi.  WOW what a difference, car pulls much harder now.  Go to merge on to the highway and I go WOT in 1st gear.  BANG, sputter sputter, stall.  Hrmmm, for a second I think thats it, I blew her up, but then I remember the messed up tridon style clamp on one of the intercooler pipes. So I go look and wala! blew a pipe out of the coupler/clamp.  I put it backtogether and turn my boost down and go to lordco and pick up a T-bolt clamp.  Install that and turn the boost back up to 11-12.  No more pipes blowing off and also my car doesn't make a loud whitsling noise anymore!  I guess there was a boost leak from that coupler/clamp that used to be on there.  So anyways its running awesome so far.  Im going to datalogg it tomorrow to check for knock and make sure everything is doing OK. 

Oh I also have a noise on deceleration when i let off the throttle (only when in gear) what sounds like a grinding or whirring.  I know its not the tranny/tcase as the car made the same noise before, and I changed the tranny/tcase.  Sounds like its coming from the Driveshaft.  Would the carrier bearings gone bad make this noise? or a bad U-joint?  When I accelerate I dont get any noise at all, only when I let off the gas.  Also when decelerating if I take it out of gear or put the clutch in it also makes the noise go away.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 07:01:47 pm »
Brett, if you are damn sure its not the trans or tcase(the old one and the new one could have had the same problem) its most likely the rear end if its gear whine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 09:06:05 pm »
yeah im putting in the 4 bolt rear i have sitting asap.  the car that it came out of didn't have this noise at all.

I have heard by posting everywhere that a guy found the problem nto be the metal busing the resides in behind where the yoke bolts onto the diff.  He replaced it and the noise went away.

i need to find more cheap awd trannys.   I know im going to blow my syncros racing at the track. 2nd gear is already a bit hard to shift really fast.  I have two other trannys that need syncros, so i guess i might as well try and rebuild one of them with better internals.  I had good luck with the rebuild on my colt.  I have bashed on it hard for quite a bit now and its still holding together with no horrible gear noise. 
Im in the middle of trying to swap in the 1G FWD turbo tranny into my colt. I have to move everything soon so it will be going down to abbotsford by sept.  I hope i get it all done.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.