Author Topic: turbo oil return line  (Read 345 times)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

turbo oil return line
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:07:38 am »
so about 5 months ago my oil return line i guess it was cracked...it was poorin out oil whenever i stepped on the throttle, replaced it with a good used one from brentwood salvage and was wondering...are these things junk?! after my recent minor accedient i smelt oil burning and stopped popped the hood to noticed oil all over my exhaust piping and the area around it. so i jack it up and clean it off and start the car up and i notice oil running out of the middle of this pipe..the crinkled metal bendy part. So this is my 2nd oil return pipe in 5 months and now im saying fuck it and taking to to coast industrial and getting them to make me a steel braided one  :)
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: turbo oil return line
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:15:56 pm »
Sounds like bad luck man, but if the second one you bought was also used that can happen.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:56:31 pm »
When my stock one broke (many many moons ago) i actually just cut the pipe. I cut it and used the top (the flange that bolts to the turbo) and the bottom (the flange that bolts to the oil pan) and just got a piece of solid rubber line (high pressure, heat tested... etc etc so it doesn't blow up) and connected the two. Worked great and no more leaking at the flexy part of the garbage stock return line.

Offline Kory Flansburg

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:32:40 pm »
When my stock one broke (many many moons ago) i actually just cut the pipe. I cut it and used the top (the flange that bolts to the turbo) and the bottom (the flange that bolts to the oil pan) and just got a piece of solid rubber line (high pressure, heat tested... etc etc so it doesn't blow up) and connected the two. Worked great and no more leaking at the flexy part of the garbage stock return line.

+1
I did the same thing.. hasn't failed me yet! :D
was either this route, or i buy a SS braided line, that would cost me about $90.
- ARP head studs, HKS EVC @ 14-15 psi, K&N open air filter, GM 3" MAF-T Blow-Thru, Autometer Ultralite Boost Gauge. DNP SS manny w/ Tial 44mm, EVO3 ported o2 houseing, Full 3" exhaust.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:35:35 pm »
+2

Also, be sure to use silicone on the drain pipe flange bolts along with the gasket.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:03:10 pm »
+3
The Foo Man says its the way to go..
+4
I'm taking off my Kinetic return line cause its too big ,,(takes away precious room for my downpipe)
Another $100 useless Kinetic upgrade..
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner