Author Topic: Tire Flip From what i had to BLACKKKK  (Read 1383 times)

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Tire Flip From what i had to BLACKKKK
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:13:28 pm »
Orbital sanders are your friend.

I did mine back in summer, took them down to (mostly) bare metal by hand and with an orbital, as I was too stupid to use a chemical stripper. I considered simply going all-polished after sanding one spoke up to 2000 and going 'woah'. Out of everything the biggest pain in the ass was getting the clear off the lip and through the fifteen years of accumulated brake dust where the clear had chipped.

Ended up going painted again, did about four coats of white primer, and the closest silver I could find to what was on there. Didn't get enough coats of paint in, only about two and some touch ups, but they still look fine. I think I might take them back down this summer for some touch ups, re polish the lips, and clear the wheels (Due to lack of time, they aren't right now). I think I spent about 35 hours on them in total, between prep and paint.
Or, if by some stroke of luck I find a second set of wheels and tires, I might spend some serious time on them and chemically strip them, and go for the full polish and clear.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:15:22 pm by CamWeiss »
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 11:49:40 pm »
wow those look great! makes your car look much cleaner
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:58 am »
definately looks better.

PS, works better if you take the wheels off the car and then take the tires off the wheels  ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 01:02:44 pm »
yeah it does, But everyone doesn't have a shop like you john.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 03:10:55 pm »
no shop, I did mine on my back step.  You have one of those dontcha?  Or a small patio?

I had to pay for my wheels to be pulled, and then reinstalled.  Back then I was just a detailer.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 05:38:04 pm »
yeah ill get them done better but like i said it was just a quickie to see what it would look like and they look sickk