Author Topic: Halo headlight project  (Read 871 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Halo headlight project
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:41:46 am »
So here's what they looked like before taking them apart:

The chrome parts were starting to look oldschool in my opinion...so I painted the sliver parts black, except for the corners...those remain reflective. (these pics are all prior to painting)

The lenses were brutally dirty and yellowing as you can see here...I washed them, then sprayed with "invisible glass" cleaner and they looked like new! But then I fucked up...I thought it would be cool to spray a thin layer of tint on them, but I didn't like it so I tried taking it off. Big mistake! LOL! I sanded down the one I fucked up and now it's kind of cloudy looking. I'm gonna try taking a buffer to it with hopes to getting it clear again. Anyone got any tips for that?

And then here is where I removed the halo's from...only the projectors had them.

Using the info found on the link under this, I think I'll come out with some pretty sexy looking halo/headlights.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-projects-faq/92243-how-create-angel-halo-eye.html

I'm only working Monday and Tuesday this week, so I'll be working on it some more on Wednesday...I'll post more pics as I get further.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:44:08 am by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline John Hartman

Re: Halo headlight project
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:49 pm »
you will have to sand the plastic and work your way down to 2000 grit. 

Try to keep cross hatching to a real bare minimum.  None if you can is best.

Then you can polish it with a real car polisher or take it somewhere to have it done.  But polishing inside will be very difficult.  Maybe one of those mag wheel "ball" style polishes?  using something like Car Brites Workout 1500 polish, followed by a couple of steps finer polishes.

hard to tell from pictures, but I have made some pretty shitty looking lenzes look nice.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:59 am »
nice!! and you got that bulb that was rattling around in the drivers side headlight removed as well ahahha..  good job!  hope they turn out good.

And i agree about the chrome looking outdated now adays... time to mature!! ;)
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:24 pm »
Thanks guys...haha Brett you remember that hey? LOL! That thing bugged the hell outta me!
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation