Author Topic: Carnage!  (Read 789 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Carnage!
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:00:51 pm »
No, it's not the Talon, haha   :P

This is what subjecting a transmission to 48k kms of a staggering 85kW can do.  (115hp)  Seems some differential parts got tired of the daily grind and decided to see what the outside world is all about.   :roll:

It appears the rollpin backed out, sheared, disappeared then allowed the pin holding the spider gears to walk sideways until it made a nice little speed hole in the bellhousing.  Whereupon the pieces of bellhousing and something else disentigrated into small chunks and dispersed thru the transmission as the gear oil drained out.  I suspect the rollpin was put in the in the wrong orientation and crushed then loosed up.  The funny thing is even with major chunks and no oil in the gearbox it ran quiet and all the gears worked except for the occasional popping out of gear or funny noise.  

It's a 2001 VW Jetta BTW.  That's what you get for building a transmission in Argentina then assembling the car in Mexico.   :P
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Kevin Standeven

Carnage!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:13:37 pm »
that's exactly what happened to the diff on my laser, I posted very similar damage pics a while back. except mine broke at a 7k 2-3 shift, not during the daily grind :D
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline John Hartman

Carnage!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:33:28 pm »
hehe, VW hasn't changed thier tranny in years!!

that is the first one I have seen like that however.  Usually pretty stout, at least when kept close to stock.

your sisters car?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

Carnage!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:30:51 pm »
Yea, my sister's.  Un-abused at least while we've had it.  It was bought used tho so who knows what happened to it before.  *shrug*
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*