Author Topic: front sway bar link boot ripped, lordco replacement?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Jesse Veitch

front sway bar link boot ripped, lordco replacement?
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:10:03 pm »
so I was replacing a CV boot today (FUN!) and I noticed that one of the boots on my sway bar link was ever so slightly ripped, I'm surpsised I noticed it, I don't imagine I can get a new boot and clean/re-grease it so I think I need a new one.. Lordco apparently has them for just under $30.. not bad.. JB and Napa didn't have anything.. to my point.. has this happened before to someone else? how are the lordco sway links? do they use the stupid hex screw or the bolt on the other side? thanks.. much appreciated.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:31:56 pm »
What parts or part numbers are you using?  Both Lordco and JB on the island couldn't find any matchin parts for a 2G Talon sway bar end-links.

I even looked through the books myself and bought a factory piece.  I'd be grateful if you could send me the part numbers.  Thanks!

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:27:34 pm »
with different people you often get different response, he told me it was a special order item I have to prepay for, going to do that tomorrow, I'll let you know Kevin. JB and Napa didn't have it.. I gave them the mitsu part# to crossreference and no luck.. hopefully the guy at lordco actually knows what he's talking about. how much was the factory unit?
97 TSi AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:23:12 pm »
get Energy Suspension or Prothane parts.  Better quality, stiffer and you can get the whole 1g awd sway bar bushing KIT for around that price.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:17:49 pm »
energy suspension makes a sway bar link? I'm not looking for bushings, the sway bar link is 2 little ball joints facing opposite ways, when I went to lordco again (I should have written down who I was talking to) they searched for a half hour before they found the part.. he actually looked through energy's catalogue.. but it wasn't in there, I'll post the part number tomorrow after I comfirm it's actually the right part when I pick it up.
97 TSi AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:42:12 pm »
with mine, they came apart, IIRC.  the softer parts are replaced.  You still use the factory metal parts.  Its been awhile and I see alot of car parts, so I may be mistaken.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 09:40:17 pm »
hmm, interesting... I'll have to look into that, probably when I upgrade the sway bars.
97 TSi AWD

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:28:41 pm »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
get Energy Suspension or Prothane parts.  Better quality, stiffer and you can get the whole 1g awd sway bar bushing KIT for around that price.

I am pretty sure you are thinking about the sway bar bushings, and not the sway bar end-links.  The end-links have two ball joints facing in opposite directions connected by a small rod. ;)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:43:45 pm »
and they don't come apart?  Oh well, sorry for the confusion.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:01 pm »
The style I have on my Colt do come apart (no ball joints).  Perhaps there is a similar style on front or rear of 1Gs?

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 05:31:38 pm »
got the part today and installed it.. works fine, it's a little beafier than the stocker, but there's a plastic cap on the end, not really sure of the internal contruction so I don't know what it's purose is.. it doesn't have the hex screw to hold while you take it off like the older unrevised sway links.. it's got a nut on the other end, but it's 15mm istead of 14mm.. go figure.. there is less space to get a wrench on there than with the stocker though so you have to watch you don't ruin the boot.. other than that.. all good.. The part number is:

L 1030 1694 78

Ask for Gary, he just went through all this with me and took about a half hour using different computers in the back of Lordco to find it because I insisted that it was found, I knew it was in their system.. I don't know why it was so easy for the young guy I talked to on the phone, he didn't even leave his corded phone at the computer and pulled it up in 20 seconds.. I had all the higher ups in Lordco searching for this thing forever.. go figure..

the box says MB 892981, which is the mistu part # for the link and it's made by CTR
97 TSi AWD

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:28 am »
Thanks!  I used to have a great hookup in the Victoria Lordco that could seemingly find anything (including the OEM manufacturer of 2G DSM wheel bearings / hubs), but the workers I deal with now can't find anything.

:)

-Kevin

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 01:01:42 pm »
do you still know how to get OEM hubs through lordco? a part number maybe? that'd be sweet.
97 TSi AWD

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 09:08:34 am »
Negative.  Jas hasn't worked at Lordco for a couple of years. :(