Author Topic: big oops  (Read 449 times)

Offline jack spencer

big oops
« on: September 08, 2006, 03:34:40 am »
so i decided to reset my greddy profec a tonite. it wouldn't boost over .8 bar indicated on my ebc or the indicated ~11.5psi or so on my pyrometer, no matter how i upped the boost or changed the offset timing.

so i did the learn test run thingy mode for the profec, and the pdf says that it will record the stock boost/base boost and vacum. but then both runs the boost just went off scale to 1.6bar. however the profec showed no error and attempted to learn. so after that i set my desired 1.0bar boost but the car will still boost way too much, all the way until it cuts.

seems like nothing i do changes things, even when i turn it off. its wierd.
so now my car is going out of control boost everytime i wot... the big questions in my head is why when i turn the profec off the car still boosts like crazy? isn't it supposed to back to stock boost? and why would my car be overboosting the instant i try to reset the profec and make it record in the first place?

thanks in advance ^___^

Offline jack spencer

big oops
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 04:23:01 am »
i just learned that the profec will only boost to base boost (point it records) and anything above, but nothing below. i guess thats why it won't let me boost .2bar, since it recorded that crazy 1.6bar from the 2 runs. which means it will die trying to go to 1.6bar everytime...

but why will my car boost like this all the sudden when i reset profec?

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
big oops
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:02:11 am »
You had to have had a leak or big change in exhaust parameters to change the boost that signifigantly, I'm not even sure how easy they would be to do.  You can never go lower boost than the maximum seal boost-pressure to wastegate actuator calibration because you would need a higher pressure to open the wastegate more to produce less boost.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ryan Lore

big oops
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:51:12 am »
Make sure that the solenoid hose routing is correct. If the car that the profec A came off of was setup for an external gate that may explain the high boost when the box is off.

If everything is correct, then go find a good stretch of flat land to do your testing, so if/when your car blows up you may survive to tell us about it.

Offline jack spencer

big oops
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:44:51 pm »
Quote from: "Ryan Lore"
Make sure that the solenoid hose routing is correct. If the car that the profec A came off of was setup for an external gate that may explain the high boost when the box is off.

oh the profec came with my car. it was preset to handle its .8bar and had its offset all done. however, later on it developed major leaks in the intercooler piping, and once all that was patched it was fine again, except it woldn't take in more boost. i just wanted more boost now, but not 22psi @3500rpm. so i reset the profec and all these problems started to happen.

and this brings me to the next big question... what kind of wastegate is on these 2g dsms? mine is stock. because when i did a check of the system the profec is set to external wastegate setting...
....am i supposed to use an actuator type?

Offline jack spencer

big oops
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:25:48 pm »
ryan you are the savior

i checked the din and sure enough it was on the wrong slot. put it back into actuator slot and now it boosts however much i want.

now... how much boost do you guys think is safe for my stock turbo?
right now i set it to 1.0bar, seems alright. im afraid with the upped boost it might run lean? i dunno..

Offline jack spencer

big oops
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 11:27:01 pm »
ps ryan i'll buy u beer but u have to meet me  :P

Offline Ritchie Hui

big oops
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 11:33:25 am »
its not a question of how much boost can the stock turbo hold, but all your other supporting mods....

Basically your fuel system...
Jackstand Racing now promoted to Garage Queen