Author Topic: what do you guys think i should use for my engine management  (Read 348 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
what do you guys think i should use for my engine management
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:00:54 pm »
well this winter i will be finally doing my serious mods to the 4g63.  I will be going with a evo 3 16G turbo, FMIC, injectors, wideband a/f ,and for the tuning im not really sure what i want to do yet.  I have heard lots of things from different people on what i should do.  So im just going to make a post about it and see what you guys think i should do.

Some say i should go with just a burned Eprom ECU and use that to use speed density to tune the 4g63.  They say that u dont need a maf sensor and the DSM link and it would be much cheaper but get just as good results.

Others say i should go with the DSM link/ GM Mas/translator /Eprom ecu route.  I dont know anymore about this one because i have heard lots of problems with using the GM MAS, and it being finiky.  But all the DSM options with the DSM link program do look enviting also.

And recently a distrubter/installer for Microtech that has a FC (2G) RX7 that has it in his car says its the only way for me to go and if i want to control my engine completely in everyway its what i should go for.  Its a full standalone system... he says that i will be one of the first DSM guys to use microtec in my area and he can get me a decent price on the system.  He said that guys from overseas (austrailia) have been using it and seen awesome results.  He usues it on his RX-7 and hes putting out maybe 450 HP with it with no problems.

I want a car that will be able to put out 400 wheel HP and run reliable with a fairly user friendly interface.  I want it also to work well running a daily driver car.

So please post your opinions and tell me what you guys think i should do.

Thanks.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:27:00 pm »
you could easily do it reliably and simply on a correctly setup chip using a 2g MAF.  The reason I say this is that with a SD system, you have to retune each time you make a mod or change something.  Lots of people are using it and it works great, but you do have that drawback.

DSMLink is very good and totally proven.  Makes power, is reliable, is user freindly enough for a knowledgable every day tuner and is'nt horribly expensive.

If you go standalone, get something that lots of DSM people have used so that you have a large "team" with you.  If you run into trouble with, say AEM EMS, you have lots and lots of people to call upon for help.  If you do this with Microtec or something that very few DSM people use, your help will be harder to find if at all.  Community is a huge part of something if you are new to it.  And no, tuning an RX-7 or another type of car is not the same as tuning a DSM.

Personally, I'd get an Eprom as you need it for the first 2 options.  get a good, well planned out chip, one with pump gas and race gas maps on it and all the other options.  If you ever outgrow this, or wish to fiddle more, you can get DSMLink.

I suggest against a full standalone at this point because you don't need it yet power and mod wize and because they are much much more difficult to tune, especially for a beginner.  Plus for the cost of all the parts you will need, cost of the unit itself, shipping, duty, tax ext, a standalone will be quite expensive. You will be able to go faster if you choose a simpler engine management "suite"

best of luck, and keep it between the lines.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 10:36:15 pm »
Save money on the management and buy a turbo that's bigger than the evo16g. It won't EASILY make 400whp. A friend of mine has done it and loves to brag 400+awhp on a bone stock evo, but he fails to tell people that his STROKER motor was 10k and he has to run 26lbs of boost on race gas. It's also NOT a daily driver

Offline Ritchie Hui

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 02:15:20 am »
Lol... I can tell you now... don't be the first to run any standalone on your car...

I've had many problems running the WinTec3 and there aren't many people to turn to for help...
Jackstand Racing now promoted to Garage Queen