Author Topic: Car not starting - died while driving  (Read 292 times)

Offline Michael Cummings

Car not starting - died while driving
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:29:53 pm »
First thing I have to say is that this is not my car, its my gf's car a 1992 Honda Civic CX.

The car was having troubles starting (it has a near new battery), would get power and would turn over but wouldn't actually fire up/start.  So tried jumping it and it worked.  Then while driving it started to lose power in 5th to point where you had to downshift to get it to move, and down to 3rd and 2nd to the point where all power was lost.  Had to pull over and turn the car off, now it won't start again.  And wouldn't start with a jump.

Still gets power and makes noise trying to start but doesn't.  A Honda friend of mine mentioned that it could be the ignitor in the distributor.  So he lent me a distributor with a working ignitor (a working distributor).  I swapped that into the car and also put in new plug wires and nothing - still the same problem.

I'm thinking maybe its the alternator?  Any ideas or suggestions.  Could it be the fuel pump?
The battery has a full charge, and car has half a tank of gas.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline mitchell hamilton

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:57:58 pm »
Sounds like the alternator is toast, not charging up the battery and drained it. Check all major connections and grounds and test what kind of voltage readings your getting at the terminals.
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 09:07:34 pm »
It didn't drain the battery, you missed where I said that the battery had a full charge.

I figured out the problem anyways the fuel pump is toast.  Going to try to pick up a new one tomorrow.  Thanks for reading though.

Now if only finding the problems to the talon was as easy.  And holy crap is it ever easy to get at the fuel pump in this car.  Underneath the back seat and no rusty/corroded screws to deal with (on fwd talon like mine).
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)