Author Topic: 2G Logger Set-Up Choices Help  (Read 676 times)

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
2G Logger Set-Up Choices Help
« on: July 26, 2006, 05:52:26 pm »
I just want to know what is out there.  Basic things are pda, hotsync cable, actual cable, software.

PDA's can come from ebay but I can't find that link of the local richmond store that sells PDA's.

As for the Hotsync cable, cable and software a Trev suggested Pocketlogger.com

http://www.digitaltuning.com/index.php?pid=plobdii

Are there anyother sites with the cables and software that other BCDSMrs have used?  I don't really feel the display of this one and I want to see what are my other logging options for  my car.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:48:39 pm »
I'm gonna move this to the "garage" for you.  Maybe you will get more hits that way?

Sorry, I personally can't help you much on the actual question.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:12:34 am »
I'm fairly sure that most of the hardware will be the same, while the biggest difference will be the software. I'm going to guess and say that most cables likely operate the same way, allowing you to use what software you want. You just need to choose the software.

But I don't know about 2g loggers so I could be totally wrong... so get a dsmlink
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:35:53 am »
i used to have pocketlogger with my 2g, works pretty good, ditched that and my superAFC for dsmlink though, makes tuning 1000 times easier

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 03:21:12 pm »
Well a pocketlogger set-up is $200, and a safc can be picked up for around $200 while DSMLink would be much exspensiver, even though I have an eprom ecu

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 04:07:10 pm »
Once you add the cost of an safc to the cost of the logger, you're getting much closer to the cost of a dsmlink.  An safc is fine for a little tweaking but you'll very quickly reach it's limits and want control over timing.  IMO if you can't afford it now, save your money and do it right when to can.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:00:05 pm »
yep.  You already have an Eprom.  so, you need to get it socketed and get DSMLink.  approx $650.

a SAFC2 is going to be $300 and pocket logger is $150, and a Palm is gonna be $75.  that gets you to $525.  Another buck and a quarter gets you a way better setup.  Of course, if you get a used SAFC, a cheap cable and free logging software, the cost will be quite a bit reduced, so if you are on a tighter budget, you may want to go that way.

I wish I would have been able to afford it in one go.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline David Lee

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 07:15:32 pm »
I'm in a worst case scenario . .  being that I tune using a 5knob afc.  But I damn well wish and pray to god that I can locate an Eprom and get DSMLink.  I'm pretty sure if you think it over some 500 times more you'll want DSMlink.  :laugh:  Sure it costs $200(roughly) more, but you get much more out of it.  A peace of mind thing, and that helps for a DSM :roll:

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 05:44:05 pm »
Well for DSMLink you still have to buy a laptop which is about ~$100.

I guess I'll get my car logged and just save up for DSMLink

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 01:15:02 am »
Don't listen to these guys, they dont have a clue. :P
Your gonna want the pocket logger and a SAFC, and my non eprom and some $$$ for your EPROM :wink:

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 12:41:28 am »
Really Rob, you'll give me your Non-Eprom :D ... :laugh:

I'll just get my car logged and save up for DSMLink

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:23:05 am »
Here's a question.  Are there any OBDII (2G) loggers that work on any OBDII (honda, chevy, nissan, mitsu etc)?  I have a palm and a laptop to use with them.  

Note that I only have 1G cars, I know that, it's for an '03 chevy.  If I have to buy a code scanner I might as well buy one I could use for performance stuff if I ever buy a 2G.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 02:23:07 pm »
www.auterraweb.com

It works good!

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 08:31:09 pm »
I believe there are 3 major OBDII protocols, and there at least one palm based scanner that have the ability to read all 3.