Author Topic: loose exhaust manifold = oil leak  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Matt Park

loose exhaust manifold = oil leak
« on: July 18, 2006, 05:01:58 pm »
Long, but hopefully entertaining...

Over the past year or so, I have had a minor oil leak somewhere in the area behind the turbo that I had originally attributed to the turbo oil return tube. I've tried different return tube setups in an attempt to kill the leak, but alas, it has persisted.

All of a sudden, with smoke streaming from the engine bay while merging onto the freeway a couple weeks ago (on the way to John's BBQ), I knew it had gotten worse. A LOT worse. Worse to the point that under any kind of pressure, it would come POURING down right onto my downpipe. In the end, I had it towed home to try and figure it out.

With the car up on stands in my garage, and my brother at the key, I slide myself underneath risking scalding oil burns, on my face no less, in order to see from where this infernal flow --no ERUPTION!-- of oil is originating.

Like anyone lucky enough to have survived ownership of one of these cursed machines for more than 4 years (and somehow maintaining a decent credit rating), I have developed a cynical, glass-half-empty mentality when a problem inevitably rears its ugly head: It's probably ten times worse than than it looks from "this angle". And I know you guys all know what "this angle" is. For the newbs out there "this angle" is what can  be seen of your engine while sprawled out on the ground trying to diagnose the problem through the space between the bottom of your front fascia on your lowered car and the concrete while the BCAA truck is on it's way. Which is to say, fuck all...

Anyway... as my brother cranks the car to life, I lay under the car peering through the blurr of my nowhere-near-clean-enough-to-see- anything-useful safety glasses knowing fullwell there is no way the answer is as simple as a massive leak in the afore-mentioned turbo drain tube. But as I followed the gushing flow of oil upward along the side of the block, past the oil drain tube, past the oil feed for the turbo, past the turbo itself (pheewwwww)............ and up into the shadows below the ehxaust manilfold??? There aren't any external oil lines up that high as far as I'm aware...

Sputtering in confusion :?, I get my brother to kill the engine and crawl out from beneath car to have a look at the manifold from the top. Not being able to make out anything useful, I remove the heatshield and place it aside revealing some oily residue but no obvious...... what the :shock: !!!
One of my lower centre exhaust manifold studs is dangling by half a thread! :shock:  :shock: upon closer inspection some of my other studs are loose!!

Oil coming from the hole for an exhaust manifold stud? Is this posible?

Also, what kind of damage would loose studs cause to my manifold?
97 GS-T

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:43:54 pm »
I've heard that some of the studs go into oil galleries?  Now, mind you that is just something I've heard.  But with your car, it apparently makes sense.

After you tightened them all up and cleaned it all up really well, is the problem solved?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Re: loose exhaust manifold = oil leak
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:34:47 pm »
Quote from: "Matt Park"
Oil coming from the hole for an exhaust manifold stud? Is this posible?

The answer to your question is YES.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:51:17 am »
When one of my studs was broken it was leaking oil from it.  I believe it was the futhers out lower one on the #4 cylinder on mine.  Replace the stud and the leak will go away with it.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Matt Park

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:52:01 pm »
Thanks guys. Reinstalled the dangling stud and the oil leak disappeared. I can't beleive how long I've been fooled into thinking my drain tube was leaking just because it was dripping down from that stud right onto the drain tube!
97 GS-T

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:40 pm »
Now you can bring that thing out to mission on sunday!
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection