Author Topic: One of thoes Idle Surge topics!!  (Read 649 times)

Corey Shaw

One of thoes Idle Surge topics!!
« on: June 02, 2003, 12:13:35 am »
wondering what the main cause of idle surge is....my car is in pretty good shape except for the tranny :cry: ...ne way..i only get surge some times ..usually after im pushin my boost limits...ill come to a stop and a difference of about 250-500rpm surge happens...any info would be great.

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 08:34:11 am »
i have been getting this a bit lately as well, found out it was an intake leak, patched it up and I have yet to surge after boosting it hard, it used to completely stall on me.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 08:37:21 am »
I had it before because my idle control screw was backing out too much, if its the same for you, you can set it where you want it to be and then put some silicone in the hole and that'll keep it from backing out again.  I personally am trying to find a more elegant solution but have yet to come across one

Jovan
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Corey Shaw

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:14:14 pm »
i know its not the biss screw eventhough i dont have the cap for it...i dont have any vaccum leaks but it could be an intake leak....my intake tube has some play in it ...it does move a lil...thanx

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 03:02:03 am »
My car surges and bucks, but I think its because of my alternator. I'll find out on wed, it's still under warrenty  :twisted:
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 07:16:21 pm »
Corey, I had this bad!!

I did all the vac leaks, intake leaks, plugs, wires, fuel filter etc etc.

then I started doing some research.  

Turns out that if its not the above, its either the Idle Speed Control motor, or the Fast Idle Air Valve.

The ISC is easy to replace, but don't buy it from Satan.  It's like $400 or more, plus tax.  Get  one from a 92 Elantra 1.8 from Hyundai.  Its a Mitsu part and a perfect fit.  No probs and I've had mine in for almost a year.

If its not the ISC, you have to do a bit of surgery.  The FAIV is part of the throttle body.  You have to take it off, and take the bottom part out and modify it a bit.  Low cost, but a bit of a time consuming thing.

3 tips on this.   When you reroute the coolant from the thermostat housing back to the heater hose, get a new hose.  the extra stress on my old one caused it to blow in 2 days, and they are only $10 or so.

Second tip, take out the battery.

3rd tip, have some coolant on hand.

here is a link to a guys site that has good instructions on it.

http://www.vallotton.com/fiavblockoff.asp

also, I did not make a metal blockoff plate, I just used tough impregnated cork gasket material.  It is an eighth thick, and pretty tough.  I was gonna just use that to see if the problem was solved(it was and very well), and then make a metal one later, but I've had no need.

Best of luck :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Corey Shaw

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 10:10:37 pm »
just wondering ..shouldnt my check engine light come on if it actually is the ISC motor???

Chris Clark

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 01:48:01 am »
No, the CEL will not come on if it is the ISC. ISC failure seems to be pretty common.

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 08:30:43 pm »
John,

Where did you get your cheap ISC motor? A boneyard?

I'm fairly sure the problem I'm having is due to my alternator, but I'm gunna do all the idle surge fixers first, just to be sure.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 08:32:40 pm »
Oh, and you might want to try to blockoff your EGR valve as well. There are a couple of vfaqs around about this.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 09:58:09 pm »
as for the ISC, I got mine at Hyundai.  It was alot cheaper.  A wrecker is another viable alternative tho...

As for the EGR blockoff, there is a vfaq at the same link I posted earlier.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods